Nancy's Reviews > The Hour Before Dark

The Hour Before Dark by Douglas Clegg

Feb 12, 14

bookshelves: horror, lgbt, favorites
Read from June 12 to 17, 2010

Nemo Raglan returns to his family home on a remote Massachusetts island after learning that his father had been brutally murdered. His sister, Brooke, was the one who found him in the smokehouse. She spent hours with him, sitting in a pool of blood. His brother, Bruno, who still lives on the island, is worried about Brooke’s deteriorating mental state as a result of her father’s slaughter. The three siblings attempt to figure out who could have butchered their father while they reconnect, discover dark family secrets, and recall old and painful memories.

The remote island with its harsh weather and provincial neighbors seems so far from the mainland that it may as well be another country. The large family home is old and creepy, with its many doors, secret compartments, and mysterious happenings.

This was a wonderfully written story, with believable and well-drawn characters that are easy to relate to, and a creepy and unsettling atmosphere. The horror is more of a psychological nature and does not rely on excessive amounts of gore.

I’m looking forward to more of Doug Clegg’s work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour Before Dark.

06/12/2010 page 48
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brian One of my favorite Clegg novels. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Nancy I loved this book! It's a very subtle horror that was unsettling and disturbed my dreams. I'm definitely going to read more of his books. What would you suggest?

Brian I particularly enjoyed Mischief, Halloween Man, You Come When I Call You, Dark of the Eye, and Goat Dance. The first three still appear to be available through Amazon at normal paperback prices, and Goat Dance has been reissued as an expensive trade paperback. Dark of the Eye is out of print, but you should be able to find it used.

I just wish he'd return to writing his subtle brand of horror; he's been occupying his time writing fantasy novels as of late.

Nancy I have The Halloween Man and Breeder. Have you read that one? Are his fantasy novels any good?

Brian Breeder is good, too. I gave it four stars.

I haven't read any of his fantasy stuff.

message 6: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Awesome review, Nancy

message 7: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great review, Nancy:)

Nancy Thanks, Lindsay & Daisie! :)

message 9: by David (new)

David I must try Clegg someday. Thanks for the review, Nancy :-)

Nancy This is a good one to start with, Dave. I liked his collection of short stories, but not quite as much as this.

message 11: by Fiona (last edited Mar 08, 2011 01:36AM) (new) - added it

Fiona Horror is a genre that I am not very familiar with, however when I read your reviews of certain books, such as this brilliant one, I feel so extremely fascinated! I'm adding it! Thanks...

message 12: by Nancy (last edited Apr 13, 2011 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy Brian wrote: "I particularly enjoyed Mischief, Halloween Man, You Come When I Call You, Dark of the Eye, and Goat Dance. The first three still appear to be available through Amazon at normal paperback prices, a..."

I just grabbed Kindle copies of Goat Dance and Dark of the Eye for only $2.99 each.

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy I adore Doug Clegg - he is an awesome writer and a heck of a nice guy ...

message 14: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Thompson Great review, Nancy! Clegg is one of my all-time favorites. Just picked this one up on Kindle.

Nancy Thanks, Lee. I've yet to read his other books. Halloween Man would be good for next month. Have you met Doug Clegg, Katy?

message 16: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Nancy wrote: "Thanks, Lee. I've yet to read his other books. Halloween Man would be good for next month. Have you met Doug Clegg, Katy?"

Not in person, but we've emailed a few times; I've been on his newsletter for years. I'd love to meet him in person sometime, but he doesn't get down to GA and I don't get up to NYC, so *siiigh*

Nancy I'm on his newsletter too, but haven't seen anything in a while.

message 18: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Nancy wrote: "I'm on his newsletter too, but haven't seen anything in a while."

Yeah, I think he's been busy - have only seen a couple updates this year, and mostly announcing new ebook releases. Hopefully he's busy writing something new!