David Natiuk's Reviews > A Shattered Visage: The Real Face of Atheism

Oct 27, 10

bookshelves: christian, philosophy, apologetics
Recommended for: christians,atheists,philosophers,college students
Read from October 01 to 27, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

"A Shattered Visage" is an honest, hard look at the Atheist's view of life on Earth and some of the inherent problems and challenges of this mindset. Ravi Zacharias is well-studied in philosophy and brings to light many examples of great minds who have struggled with this very issue. The conclusions and analysis are most intriguing.

Most people might not want to go this deep into philosophy and the meaning of life, but I believe it is imperative to take the time to educate yourself and ask the most important questions:
1. Why are we here?
2. What is the meaning of life?
3. Is there a God?
4. How does this influence my existence?

It's not a surprise to those who know Ravi Zacharias that he points out the untenable position of the Atheist, but I think FAR more important is how he arrives at that conclusion. Not only does he show why the Atheist is wrong, but he gets to that conclusion through the very process the Atheist prides himself with: logic and analysis.

Two points in the book that were very hard hitting to me:
1. Naturalism & Atheism means survival of the fittest, natural selection, and we're all here by chance. People like Hitler and Stalin were taking this philosophy to its extreme - although consistent conclusion. However, it is agreed almost universally those men were "evil" - but by what moral standards can you judge good & evil if all is random chance and natural selection?

Yes, heinous acts have been done in the name of religion, but the difference is those acts were done in opposition to the clear methods and instructions of the Bible. It is not the proper understanding of the Bible, and evil is duly noted based upon God's morality.

2. The Atheist says "God does not exist"... but in order to KNOW this conclusively would require infinite knowledge. If you had infinite knowledge, then you would be the very god that you are saying does not exist. Unsupportable.

There is much more depth & insight in this book, and will take multiple readings to truly grasp all of its significance. If you are a Christian, read this book and it will strengthen your faith. If you are an Atheist, I challenge you to read this book for yourself... even if you intend to refute it.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shattered Visage.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Andreas How does a non-atheist truly understand the mindset of an atheist?

David Natiuk Heather wrote: "How does a non-atheist truly understand the mindset of an atheist?"
It's called putting yourself in somebody's shoes, yes?
How would anybody understand another's viewpoint, unless they consider it and think about it? This book doesn't simply pander to a Christian worldview... it really delves into the thought processes and makes you think.

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Well that's an interesting argument that I haven't heard before. Having infinite knowledge is the only way to know that God does or doesn't exist.

message 4: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Otieno Well, we now have neo-atheists. They don't make the absolute claim that God doesn't exist, but rather simply say they lack the faith in God or any other gods. Looks like a play on words, but at any rate, how does one approach this new definition of atheism?