Kelly's Reviews > Unholy Magic

251943
Oct 05, 2010

bookshelves: read-in-2010, 2010-favorites
Read from October 05 to 07, 2010

Don't worry, guys, I'm still fully obsessed. I know everyone was worried. I still love Terrible. I still love how filthy/awesome/bad the Downside is. I still think I'd die pretty gruesomely if I ended up there. Yep, definitely still obsessed.

So, in my review for Unholy Ghosts I talked about how alive the Downside world felt. I think a large part of it is the speech patterns Stacia Kane gave her inhabitants. Where Chess and the other Church employees talk in a more educated manner, those who live and breathe in the Downside have a convoluted way of talking that draws you into and makes you listen.

"Cryin Man ain't let she scream," someone told her. "Nobody hear nothing."

I don't know about you but I can hear that in my head as they speak. It's just one more aspect of Downside that makes it so wonderfully gritty.

Now, I'm not saying it was easy to fall into deciphering the speech. It wasn't a snap. I had to go back and re-read sometimes to get the full idea of what was being said. But. But it didn't detract from the story at all. Like I said, it made it feel more real.

And now onto my favorite current subject- Terrible. Oh, Terrible, how my heart broke for you in this book. I wanted to wrap my fingers around a few necks and give them a good shake for you. The layers beneath his gruff exterior are being exposed and it's hard to watch this big, proud man bare himself like that. It's hard but, my god, it makes for some intense reading.

Chess is still Chess, moving through her life with a steady supplies of pills and a big, empty hole inside her that's afraid of being filled up. She makes really bad choices and there were a couple of points in the book where I thought "She's totally hosed. There's no way she's going to get out of this." Yet, being Chess, she does. It might not be pretty. It might cause more problems somewhere down the line, but she finds a way to save her ass. One way or another.

Once again, I can't recommend this series enough. It's been a long time since I became so enthralled by a book that I stayed up until two in the morning because there was no ever-loving way I was going to stop reading until I had finished.

Absolute love.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Magic.