Nancy's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Oct 25, 08

bookshelves: classics, fiction
Read in April, 2003, read count: 3

Lord of the Flies is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. It was required high school reading and since then, I've read it four more times. It is as disturbing now as it was then. Using a group of innocent schoolboys stranded on an island, the author very realistically portrays human behavior in an environment where civilization no longer has meaning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nancy I was 14 when I read the book the first time. I remember thinking how some of the characters resembled the bullies I went to school with. It's definitely worth revisiting with an adult perspective and without the pressures of school assignments.

Ixan It would have been much worse if it had been girls.

message 3: by Nancy (last edited Jul 04, 2009 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy You could be right, Ixan. Girls can be downright nasty at that age, but I wonder how popular a book about girls behaving badly on an island would be.

Mizzashley I think if it were about girls there wouldn't be any left to rescue. Not because they couldn't take care of themselves but because they would be killing each other off.

Candy516 i dedenitly understand what you are saying. i first read the book when i was only 12, the same age (about) as ralph and was able to understand his actions and choices, and i still can if i go back to those child hood moments.

message 6: by Dharshan (new) - added it

Dharshan Das Mizzashley wrote: "I think if it were about girls there wouldn't be any left to rescue. Not because they couldn't take care of themselves but because they would be killing each other off. "

I hope you meant in a humorous way but if not then I would like to correct you by stating that girls,even at a very young age are capable of formal group discussion and vocalisation of various issues that need to addressed. Yes,I agree girls have an issue of vanity and egotism but they would work way better without the brutish nature inherent in boys!

message 7: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Wonderful book! Its one of my all-time favorites as well since having read it at the age of 11. Always nice to see others who appreciate this gem of a novel. Good review.

Nancy Thanks, Christopher. I haven't read it since I was 25 and wonder if my perspective will be different now or if maybe there are things I've missed then. I'm tempted to revisit it.

message 9: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Nancy wrote: "Thanks, Christopher. I haven't read it since I was 25 and wonder if my perspective will be different now or if maybe there are things I've missed then. I'm tempted to revisit it."

I reread it last year myself and I can honestly say I found it ten times more horrifying as an adult than I did as a child. With age comes wisdom so they say :) If you were to reread it now, I have no doubts there would be more to mine from this book with your new-found perspectives on life. That's one of the things I love about Lord of the Flies, it seems as though there's something new to ponder or examine with every subsequent reading.

Buildingreadingpassion I watched the film, but I have not read the book. It would interesting how this turns out when I start reading. Gotta order now.

Alara If you think this book is horrifiying, you should read the painted bird :)

Nancy Furbilly wrote: "If you think this book is horrifiying, you should read the painted bird :)"

I did try to read it once and never finished. Very horrifying.

message 13: by Ellen (new) - rated it 1 star

Ellen This was required reading when I was in school, too, but I didn't read it. I remember hating what I read. If I remember right, I thought it was boring and kind of sick.

message 14: by Asma (new)

Asma your review made me want to read this book... I'll let you know how I think of it ^^

Rachel Nielsen i dont get what's so disturbing about it...

Blitzybiscuit This book wasn't too bad. Yes it was quite disturbing to see the boys go mad and unleash "the darkness of mans heart," but it was well written and I didn't have any problem understanding the story. It's not too bad for a required summer reading.

Megan O'malley I don't get how it's disturbing..? Violent, yes, but disturbing is kind of pushing it.