Malbadeen's Reviews > Foreskin's Lament

Foreskin's Lament by Shalom Auslander

Mar 23, 08

bookshelves: memoir-ish
Read in March, 2008

I need to save my review for this book for when I get back from my trip, because I don't want God to smite me in the mean time. (wa-ha, ha! that's funny if you've read this book...or if you're really tired and loopy).

(that was then)I figure the best way to comfort myself with my ongoing sense of disappointment and frustration with my religion is to read about other peoples disappointment and frustration with their religion. this books seems as good a candidate as any.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foreskin's Lament.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Malbadeen didn't buy it. I hate the lettering on the cover (maybe if I could get a used copy or audio). I was thinking I should print my "to-read" list, head to Powell's and see which books I'm serious enough to committing to.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Have you read "Girl Meets God?" It might appeal to your mood right now.

Malbadeen I haven't read "Girl Meets God" - I've heard mixed things about it. If I remember correctly Sarah thought the girl was a little narcissistic and obnoxious at points (?)
I'm not 100% clear on the content of either book but it seems that one book is about converting TO a religion and one is about not being able to let go of a religion despite considering otherwise.
At this point I feel resonance with the 2nd scenario.
did you read "Girl Meets God"? did you like it?
If I had a book right now it would probably be "Girl wonders why God stood her up" - hee, hee that would be funny!

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill I think what sarah is trying to say, Marie, is that you should meet God some other way.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Marie, It's funny that I suggested "Girl Meets God." I just looked at my review, and it turns out, I hated it. I think the idea,i> of the book is what's so interesting and useful. Oh well. Ignore me and my ridiculous comments.

Malbadeen perhaps you could set up a blind date?

Malbadeen For me it brings to mind the fact that I keep wanting you, Sarah, to read Life of Pi even though I didn't like it.