The Flooze's Reviews > Basara, Vol. 1

Basara, Vol. 1 by Yumi Tamura

Oct 05, 10

bookshelves: to-read, manga, fantasy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Basara, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. You can tell from the art this is 90s.

message 2: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze The color palatte is rather...festive, isn't it?

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. And when you look inside, they have the big hair and fluffy bangs and everything, LOL.

message 4: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Ahhhh, fluffy bangs. I remember those! Exciting. I'll blame Shannon when the artwork scares me to death. :)

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! Shannon recommended? I heard it has a good story though. But maybe a more recent work might have been better...

The Holy Terror It's not just a good story, it's a FANTASTIC story. Regardless of the age, this is just her style, her new stuff looks similar. And I recommended 12 things, so The Flooze could take her pick.

message 7: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Sorry to intrude here - but what are bangs? I know they're hair related, but we don't have bangs in Australia, and I'm always reading about them. "Fluffy bangs" brings all sorts of questionable images to mind! ;)

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, that's true. It's just the style of some artists. Which ones did you recommend? :)

message 10: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Aha! Thanks Shannon! I will now happily interchange bangs with fringe!

message 11: by The Holy Terror (last edited Oct 06, 2010 10:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Holy Terror If you look at the wiki page NU, apparently we only call them bangs in North America. Weird.

Here's what I recommended:

Shoujo, but more older teen than younger:
Ceres: Celestial Legend
Red River
Basara

Comedic Shoujo:
My Heavenly Hockey Club
Ouran High School Host Club
Hana-Kimi

Shounen or just not overly girly:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Mushi-shi
Kekkaishi

Horror/Paranormal:
Parasyte
ALIVE
Princess Resurrection

message 12: by Quinn (new)

Quinn new_user wrote: "Yeah, that's true. It's just the style of some artists. Which ones did you recommend? :)

@Quinn: Hair in front of the forehead. :) Is there a different term in Australia?"

Sorry NU, missed your post. We call it a fringe. Same in the UK, I think.

message 13: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, cool. Learn something new every day. Thanks, Quinn. :)

Hmm, interesting recs... Don't know if it will be to her tastes though... LOL.

message 14: by The Holy Terror (last edited Oct 06, 2010 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Holy Terror Well, some background info - she asked for MY top 3, and I gave her my top 3 out of the different genres, so to speak. I wasn't thinking about what SHE'D like, because that isn't what she asked for. ::shrugs::

They aren't technically recommendations, just the ones I love.

message 15: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, okay, cool, cool. I liked Ceres too. :D I think that was my first manga.

message 16: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Another conversation I missed. And I knew the bangs/fringe thing too, darnnit. :P

I did indeed ask for her 3 favourites. And off she went mentioning a billion of 'em! True there are a few I wouldn't pick up on my own, but since I'm new to the whole thing I do want a sampling. Manga and anime are already outside my comfort zone--why not go whole hog!

message 17: by The Holy Terror (last edited Oct 17, 2010 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Holy Terror A billion, huh? I see how it is.

message 18: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Lol! Come onnnnn. You should know by now I'm a bit of an exaggerator. ;)