Kathleen's Reviews > The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise

Oct 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read on October 05, 2010

I picked this book up because of the promising comparisons to Guerney Literary & Potato Peel Society and Chocolat on the front cover. While it certainly had promising underlying ideas (all detailed on said cover, even revealing plot points not discovered until one or two hundred pages in!), the writing itself was partially too concerned with details and partially not concerned enough with tone. In fact, I believe it's the tone of the whole book that really brought it down for me. The comparison books are very light and whimsical, even when dealing with things like WWII (as in Guernsey). This book was too bogged down in the sad, overshadowing death of the Jones's son to capture the whimsical feeling promise in the front cover. In fact, if you read any part of this book, simply read the description. You'll find out pretty much everything you need to know from that, and in a much more enjoyable manner. That being said, I did devour this in a day, so take that as you will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise.