Jessica(Spinecracker)'s Reviews > Happy Hour at Casa Dracula

Happy Hour at Casa Dracula by Marta Acosta

Nov 10, 10

Read from November 05 to 07, 2010

Originally posted at http://thespinecracker.blogspot.com/

I don't use the word "snark" or it's colorful cousin "snarky" often, but I'm breaking that fast right now. Milagro is the definition of "snark". Open up your Webster and you'll find a curvy latino woman staring back at you by its description. Snark is not about being a smart alick, it's about always being on, about always having an answer. And that can only come from someone with a multi-faceted background and education...hense why I am not snarky. Milagro is so much more than dry humor and a couple well placed one-liners. She's someone to be envied. She makes Shakespeare references in the same breath with Latino vulgarity. And is snappy and educated and sharp as a knife. Acosta writes her so well, I'd swear that Milagro must be real somewhere living a full life. And by the end of the book I felt like I knew her as well as I know any of my friends; how pathetic is that.

Acosta has taken a pretty worn-out genre and breathed fresh life into it. I admire how she's really turned everything on a different angle. Vampires don't have fangs, have to lather up with sunscreen like a baby on the 4th of July, and will admit "there's no such thing as vampires". Acosta's vampires merely have a "condition"...and I laugh and I laugh.

Actually, I laughed a lot in this book. Acosta keeps everything light, and sets a breezy pace. Our story reads mainly like chick-lit, but the skill of the writing really sets it apart. There's a conflict, a slightly sorted past, and the hopes of "happily ever after". I was amazed at how quickly I read through the pages... I know you will too.

Bottom Line: I will follow Milagro anywhere, especially her next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Hour at Casa Dracula.

11/05/2010 page 1
11/06/2010 page 145
46.0% "OMG, I want Milagro as a friend"
11/07/2010 page 100
32.0% "great great read"
11/07/2010
100.0% "great great read"