Leilani's Reviews > A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life

A Small Furry Prayer by Steven Kotler

Oct 11, 10

bookshelves: dogs
Read from October 05 to 10, 2010

At first the author's writing style annoyed me - it seemed glib, rushed, overly self-conscious. He kept brushing by intriguing ideas and leaving them after just a few paragraphs. After a while, however, I grew to appreciate his exploration of a wide variety of ideas. The section about biotic egalitarianism was especially interesting. And the portraits of individual dog personalities were vivid and winning. (The descriptions of local animal cruelty were difficult to read, though.)

I'm still annoyed by the page where he states that Jane Goodall's educational programs for children are a failure to stay sane because she's lost faith in adults. For one thing, anyone who describes elsewhere in the book how uplifting an experience it was to have a dog vomit in his mouth because it demonstrated how intense their bond was, is in no position to be throwing about accusations of going crazy. And for another, Goodall's approach seems much more likely to protect animals in the future than trying to take in as many as you can in a two-person animal rescue.

That aside, I'm glad these dogs had somewhere to go and people who offered them a boisterous, happy pack to live in, and this book was definitely worth reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Small Furry Prayer.