Lavonne's Reviews > The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Oct 05, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, book-club
Read in September, 2010

I felt like I should like this book. It's a classic, after all. However, I guess I'm just not a "classic" kind of girl. There were good parts, even parts that I enjoyed. Unfortunately, it felt like I was wading through large sections of wet concrete to get to them. And lists! Was it really necessary to list all of Sir Ector's dogs by name, not once, but twice? (I wonder if the long lists were a writing style of the 1930's or perhaps they paid by the word during the Depression.) I also found the author's comparison of medievel things compared to modern-day (in the 1930's) objects annoying and distracting. I managed to get through it once. Never again.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Once and Future King.

Emily You and another good friend of mine have rated this book meh-ishly. Which is fine. I'm really glad you explained your opinions. :-) The weather is getting cooler here, so I'm looking at alternative Arthurian legend retellings.

Lavonne That's what I like about you, Emily. You are so open-minded and good natured about everything. I am trying to learn that from you.

Frank Not to intrude, as everyone is allowed their opinion, but the lists are a throwback to the original Arthurian stories. Whenever there was a tournament, or feast, or heck anything involving more than five knights, everyone involved would be listed out exhaustively. White, like with many other aspects of the legend, used hyperbole for comic effect.

Lavonne Frank wrote: "Not to intrude, as everyone is allowed their opinion, but the lists are a throwback to the original Arthurian stories. Whenever there was a tournament, or feast, or heck anything involving more tha..."

Thanks, Frank! I had no idea that was the case. It's good to know the reasoning, even if I dislike the execution of it. I appreciate you enlightening me.

Maritza At least you managed to get through it. I feel awful for giving up half way...