Liza Gilbert's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

2035961
Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: bfya2011, young-adult

I was not impressed with this first entry in the Fallen series. Although the text had high readability, it also pushed almost all of my annoyance buttons.

Liza's Annoyance Buttons (A Partial List)

1) Female protagonist needs to be rescued by male counterpart
2) Male counterpart doesn't want anything to do with doe-eyed female
3) Love triangle is in place with at least one of the characters being laughably evil
4) One-dimensional secondary characters
5) One-dimensional primary characters
6) Love scenes / kissing scenes that qualify for Literary Review's annual Worst Sex in Fiction Award
7) Humanoid characters who sparkle or glow
8) Cookie-cutter parents
9) Books written for teens in which teen characters say or think phrases that only adults would be pompous enough to write, (such as "lichen-swathed")
10) Loners who play the harmonica or bluesmen on a southbound train
11) Immortal characters slumming it in high schools
12) The forces of Good and Evil coming together in epic battles over a high school girl, because clearly they've solved the crisis in the Middle East and the genocide in Rwanda
13) Horrid scenes in bathrooms or swimming pools. Give it up; they've all been done
14) Bad and/or evil librarians
15) The glorification of private/reform/boarding schools - J.K. Rowling broke the mold; stop trying

There was very little original in this book. The best thing it had going for it was the cover. I really wanted to like this as an alternative to the Twilight series, but it just did not shape up for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

10/05/2010 page 38
8.0% "Meh."
10/05/2010 page 100
22.0% "I need to vent. What is it with girls falling for guys who dislike them? Why is there a rescue scene eerily like the car scene in Twilight? Are all boarding schools supposed to be tragically romantic? Argh! Wake up authors! It's time to write about female characters who feel good about themselves and walk away when a love interest isn't into them. Our young ladies deserve better in their contemporary fiction."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Liza, you rock.