Diane's Reviews > Fantasy in Death

Fantasy in Death by J.D. Robb

Oct 05, 10

Read in October, 2010

Fantasy in Death, a futuristic murder mystery about a death resulting from a vid game, becomes a game itself as Detective Eve Dallas has to face a deadly foe in a game that's stacked against her. J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas mysteries are delicious to read, even for non-science nuts. I happen to love anything Star Trekky, so I love these books. What I really like about the series is that Robb is able build a futuristic galaxy through the invention of language, clothing, transportation, and the other accoutrements of life--always coffee in the replicators--without taking away from the humanity of the characters. Eve and her husband, the asoundingly rich and handsome Roark, are rounded characters with flaws (granted, interesting flaws) and lapses that get them both into trouble on occasion and in bed on several occasions. The other characters are typical of those found in any good mystery series, but they're fun to hang around with.

This book, like the others in the series, starts off with a shocking event. Unlike the other books, though, after that initial event, the story slows and doesn't pick up until the end. And unlike the others in the series, I already had a pretty good idea of how the crime was committed, even though its mechanism depends on some pretty far-fetched technology. Still, this book, once it inds its footing, is fun and fascinating. And best of all, we get to go to another party with Eve and Roarke and get a description of everyone's evening wear. No J.D. Robb/Eve Dallas book would be complete without a dress-up party.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy in Death.