Susan's Reviews > Locked in Time

Oct 07, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: home
Read in October, 2010

I would have starred this higher if I was teenager reading it as I think I would have enjoyed it much more at about twelve. Duncan is a good writer and I plan to read more of her mysteries, but this was a just a bit too predictable. I don't think it was supposed to be a huge surprise but I figured out the mystery almost immediately, taking away some of the punch later on. However, she build tension slowly, the characters are relatively interesting and creepy, and I loved the setting (south Louisiana). It was the perfect lush, historical, eerie locale for a mystery.

Course evaluation: Duncan skillfully presents an intriguing mystery with supernatural undercurrents. Though some of the dialogue and references are dated (such as the opening of a new disco in town), readers will still be able to enjoy the suspense and building tension of the plot. The south Louisiana locale is the perfect setting for the sinister story; voodoo plays a large part in the family’s secret, Nore feels out of place in Creole culture, and the environment (shady trees, strange flowers, foreboding river) itself add to the air of mystery in the story. Duncan leaves the ending slightly open for the reader to guess how Josie and Nore’s futures will pan out but does give the reader some closure on the climactic events of the plot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locked in Time.