Kristy's Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Oct 05, 2010

bookshelves: on-the-road-again
Read from May 10 to 12, 2011

I don't know what to say about this one, other than this is one you have got to read for yourself. I know you think you know what it's about and you've heard all the highlights, but you'll never get "it" until you have read the book.

Can you imagine finding out that someone has been following you and studying you since you were 10?? Planning to take you? Thinking they were doing you a favor really??!? Ty has been doing this to Gemma and he has decided it's time to take action. He is not scary looking, in fact he is muscular, tanned and handsome- not threatening. Gemma basically falls right into his plan. He drugs her, changes her clother, gets a new passport and they fly away.... to the middle of nowhere. Gemma is terrified that he is going to kill her, but he doesn't even touch her unless it is completely neccessary. He's exactly who I would want to be kidnapping me if I was caught in that posistion. He loves her and is going to do her no harm. He wants her to love the desert. He wants her to like him. The entire time reading your mind will wonder if she will ever escape such an isolated place. Does she have a chance? Why does she not just give up? Ahhh, it's sooooo good!!!!!

After I finished reading, I want to know what the house they lived in looked like. What it Something like this?!?!?
and I very much so want to know what Ty looks like.
I also have came to the realization that I have a love/hate relationship with the ending... but I think that's what the author was going for because that was the MC's view toward her captor.

Fantasic story. The relationship between Ty and Gemma is fascinating. Usually you get a kidnapper who is also a rapist and a murderer. This was just so refreshing. There is NO violence, except for what Gemma does to her own self. There is no Sex scenes or raping. It's just really a beautiful story.

Try it.

4 Camel humps up!

This and other reviews (and other fun stuff) over on my blog
Messyhousehappylife

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

05/10/2011 page 179
59.0% "oh man, this is sooo good!! I wish I had all day to just sit and read!!" 4 comments
09/07/2016 marked as: read

~Tina~ Great review! I really love that picture you posted. It looks exactly where they would live. Good call!
I also liked how you put it out there about no violence or rape. I was nervous about that as well when I started this, but one of the Bookers set me straight. I would love to know what happens to them next, but I'm also content with the way it ended:)

Kristy "I would love to know what happens to them next, but I'm also content with the way it ended:)"

I know exactly what you mean!!!!!!

Arlene Awesome review and I think that picture of the house is pretty spot on. This book made me realize I'm a potential candidate for Stockholm Syndrome ...wasn't please to find that out about myself. ^^

I'd also like to know what would happen to these two years later. Part of me would have liked them to have a second start.

Kristy Arlene wrote: "Awesome review and I think that picture of the house is pretty spot on. This book made me realize I'm a potential candidate for Stockholm Syndrome ...wasn't please to find that out about myself. ^..."

I'm right there with you... And, so torn whether or not I would want a second start or not.... this book really did mess with my emotions!!!

message 5: by Nomes (last edited May 12, 2011 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nomes awesome review

that is how i imagines the house.

and i wouldn't mind a visual of ty either ;)

LOL @ Arlene realising she is a potential candidate for stockholm! i think we all around around someone like ty :D

Arlene LOL Nomes. I think Nic should give us a visual of Ty. She's good at that stuff. :)

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Arlene wrote: "LOL Nomes. I think Nic should give us a visual of Ty. She's good at that stuff. :)"

LOL. Consider it done. Will post soon :)

Nomes it'll be a tough one nic :)

but you seem to have access to a lot of guys so i know you can rise to the challenge ;)

♥Rachel♥ The relationship between Ty and Gemma was fascinating! I love your example of the house. Great review, Kristy. :)