Debra's Reviews > Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style

Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel by Hallie Ephron

Oct 07, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read on October 05, 2010

I like reading how-to books, although I don’t read them voraciously. After listening to journalist and mystery author Hallie Ephron give a workshop on point of view three years ago, I bought a copy of her book, Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel. I prefer to read these books while working on a new novel and this was the perfect opportunity.

I’m writing my sixth mystery and was amazed by the amount of useful information Ephron provides, including the all-important editing and selling components. She provides ample exercises for writers to jump-start their work and presents more detail about planting red herrings and clues than I’ve read in other books.

Writing and Selling Your Mystery is geared toward writers who are starting, or planning to start, their first mystery, yet there were plenty of great tips for me. As a bonus, the book provided lots of inspiration and ideas for my plot. This was one of the most comprehensive books I’ve read on mysteries and I’ll be consulting it again when I start book seven.

Debra
Fatal Encryption
Taxed to death
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel.

message 1: by Betty (new)

Betty Hi Debora

Debra Betty wrote: "Hi Debora
Thanks for the write-up, I'm going to order that book with my next order! Sounds like it will be very helpful."

I think you'll find it very helpful! Enjoy!

Debra