Michael's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

4204587
Jul 22, 11

Read from July 12 to 22, 2011

Take my 2 stars with a grain of salt... much of my reading was done from 1am-5am feeding a 3wk old newborn so I might not have fully appreciated it as much as others. :P Don't want to spoil anything so I won't say anything else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

07/13/2011 page 112
11.0% "Very good so far!"

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 17: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Geraty Woot!

Michael Haha yah! Pretty good so far, only a few chapters in. Are you reading it now?

message 15: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Geraty Not yet - I'm going through all the books first (half way through Game of Thrones right now). I'm avoiding all sites dealing with the series so I don't get any spoilers ;-) You know - the "vulcan blew up" kind of spoilers...

Michael haha I'm never going to live that one down!

message 13: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Geraty Bummer! At the rate I'm going, it's going to take a few months for me to even GET to the book.

message 12: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Geraty I'm FINALLY caught up!

message 11: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Geraty ...starting the book tonight.

Michael Awesome! Hope you like it!

Michael How far did you get? Stay up half the night reading? Lol

Todd Geraty I only read about 5 pages! At this rate, I may not be done before he finishes the next book ;-)

Todd Geraty duuuuuuude - noooooooooo!!!!

Michael haha you finished? I managed to not give anything away!

Todd Geraty noooo nooooo nooooo nooooooooo!!!!! (that's one for every dagger into my favorite character) Yeah, you definitely didn't give anything away - I wasn't expecting this one.

Although, the way it ended, you never know if he'll still live... GRRM has done that before where you think someone is possibly dead (Arya & Asha) but they weren't killed. But never has he done that spanning books, and not getting stabbed repeatedly...cry.

Still loved it though - except the whole Dany story seemed to take huge steps backwards. But that was kind of foretold with that whole "have to go east to go west, go back to go forwards".

Hopefully GRRM doesn't wait another 5-6 years for the next book!!

Michael yah, that was a shocking ending! There has been a lot of discussion in the group at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_... I doubt he's dead... I think he's part of the ending for the series, not sure how but I just don't think he's someone GRRM can really kill off.

I'll have to read again, I was so tired at the time... but I remember just having no interest in the dany sections... it was on and on of the same thing, she didn't know what to do and was stuck. That and any chapter with the sea people, stuff in dorne... even the tyrion chapters didn't really go over well with me.

To me it was like he realized he had his characters all over the place in situations he didn't want them in. To finish the series he needs them in x location so this book was all about moving people around. I think that is why I was disappointed, it didn't feel like progress. Or at least interesting progress.

He said he's got about 100 pages so far, but that was leftover from this book and he won't be starting till next year. We should start a betting pool! :)

Todd Geraty Yeah, just the way that there's no closure with Jon makes me think that he's not dead. I think he's needed for the end of the series as well...

The early Dany chapters I didn't like either - but the later ones and the ones with Selmy were good. And I really liked the Dorne ones - even with the prince dying there at the end.

What I didn't like was him introducing Aegon - having him start to conquer parts of Westeros, and never really have much of an attachment to him. That whole story-line seems very extraneous. And I didn't care for the sea people chapters either; except for Asha and Theon/Reek - loved those chapters.

Definitely not one of his best books - but I still loved it. I just wish there was more about Bran, Arya, and Sansa.

Todd Geraty and if we're starting a pool, I'll say five years - at least! :-(

Michael I hope not five years, that would be pretty disappointing.