Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Fixing Delilah

Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

Feb 04, 2011

bookshelves: ya, dec10, contemporary, read-in-2011, favorites, own
Read from January 09 to 12, 2011

It’s official. I am in love with Sarah Ockler’s words. She could write about caterpillars or bunnies or the most boring day in history, and I’m positive I would still love it. This quote describes my feelings perfectly:

He belts it straight out, his voice like milk and honey and everything rich and warm and good. I want to drink it. To take off my clothes and slip into his music like a hot bubble bath. ~ pg. 111

That is how I feel about Sarah's writing

The story starts off slow and kind of simmers, but it works. Fixing Delilah is one of those sweet, summer romance stories with a hell of a lot of family drama thrown in. It’s very character-driven and internal. We’re introduced to Delilah Hannaford, on the cusp of a summer in Vermont. Leaving her home and her non-boyfriend behind isn’t really a big deal, but staying with her mother for an entire summer, cleaning up the home of her deceased grandmother, and digging up long buried family secrets, is.

Delilah is so much like every teen girl out there. She’s angry and emotional – desperate for attention, but not sure how to get it. She wants her mother to love her like she used to. Back before her Papa died and her family fell apart. Her life is a series of mistakes that allow her to forget how much she’s hurting, but this one summer changes that.

The Hannaford family secrets are revealed slowly, layer by layer. It’s like wiping away a film of dust, just to find a box that needs to be unlocked. I loved the dynamic between Delilah, her mother Claire, and her aunt Rachel. These three Hannaford women are all strong-willed in their own way and flawed, but they so clearly want to be able to love each other the way they used to; they just don’t know how. Getting to know each of them was a pleasure, as was slowly discovering the secrets that once tore them apart.

During all this family strife, Delilah gets reacquainted with her best summer friend from her childhood. The boy who used to be Little Ricky, is now Patrick and Patrick is a swoon machine. His good-natured joking, handyman skills, and his musical endeavors made me adore him. He has all this going for him and to top it all off, he cares so much for Delilah. Their friendship does this thing, this crazy thing that many YA books disregard, it blossoms. That’s right. No insta-love here, just some flirting, almost kisses, and finally we get there. And I love there.

Fixing Delilah is the perfect blend of a family, love, and growing up – it made me laugh, it made me ache, it had me sighing and swooning, and most importantly, it made me love it. Delilah Hannaford found a way into my heart and forced me to care for her and her entire family. It’s a story that reminds us that every mistake, every action, every memory, makes us who we are and despite all of that, there will always be someone there who cares.

Opening line: “Claire? It’s Rachel. I’m afraid I have some bad news.” ~ pg. 1

Favorite lines: I dug up the past and sifted through the rubble and counted all the bones, and now I want to throw them all back in the hole under shovels full of earth. To forget. ~ pgs. 231-232

And here's a taste of Aunt Rachel:

“I’ll go,” Rachel says. “Need anything specific? Milk? Toilet paper? Compassion, maybe? I’ll get a bunch. I probably have a coupon.” ~ pg. 25

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fixing Delilah.

Quotes Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) Liked

Sarah Ockler
“I understand how easy it would be to lose yourself in the heart of another. It‘s frightening. Exhilarating. An ocean with no lifeguard.”

Sarah Ockler
“Sometimes I wonder if my whole life will pass by this way: me waiting in the shadows, waiting for something to happen. Waiting for someone else to make it happen. Something new or different or crazy and amazing. I‘ve been there for so long, letting everyone else figure it out for me, floating along without much direction or conscious thought. Reacting.”

Sarah Ockler
“I wonder how much we don‘t see. How much of our lives we witness and accept as truth when the rest of the iceberg—the heaviest, bulkiest part—is buried and invisible.”

Sarah Ockler
“We have the ability to pass our memories on. We just have to tell them to someone.”