Jim Coughenour's Reviews > By Nightfall

By Nightfall by Michael Cunningham

Oct 05, 10

bookshelves: bleakfiction
Read in October, 2010

Back in the dark days of AIDS, Michael Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World was a comforting distraction, and I truly enjoyed his "reading" of Mrs Dalloway in The Hours. So I had hopes for this novel.

For the first few pages I felt the pleasure of a reader in the hands of a skilled writer: a fictional life, recognizable but more privileged and glamorous than my own, unfolding on the page. But it wasn't long before the endless inner patter of the narrator began to grate. Fifty pages in, I discovered I didn't actually care much about any of these characters. A bad sign; but it's a short book.

Two stars: I didn't hate it, it held me (barely) in its spell for the few hours it took to read. But I'm glad I bought this one as an iBook rather than spending money on the hardback. Otherwise, probably better to wait for the DVD and some cinematic eye-candy.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Nightfall.

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I heard this was really bad.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim Coughenour yeah - it wasn't really bad, but it was weak. Jeannette Winterson gave it a good review in NYT, which is why I got it. Hmm.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Maybe they are friends.