Tim's Reviews > Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community

Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Oct 17, 2010

Read in September, 2010

This book is an introduction to the Christian's life in community. There will be portions that you may disagree with vigorously as Bonhoeffer posits a pretty complete trail to follow after, but overall this is the finest work on Christian community and the possibility and necessity of the church I have ever read. Whenever I feel critical of the community that I am in I reread this book to give me some sort of grounding and reminder of both the importance of Christian community and the gift of it.

It is a slim book and the chapters are divided into Community, The Day with Others, The Day Alone, Ministry, Confession and Communion. The first is a theology of community, the second two make specific suggestions for how to live in community, the fourth delivers the necessary ministries of community and the fifth attempts to map a way to deal with the sin that will always plague a Christian community.

"The Christian needs another Christian who speaks God's Word to him. He needs him again and again when he becomes uncertain and discouraged, for by himself he cannot help himself without belying the truth. He needs his brother man as a bearer and proclaimer of the divine word of salvation. He needs his brother solely because of Jesus Christ. The Christ in his own heart is weaker than the Christ in the word of his brother; his own heart is uncertain, his brother's sure."

"God's grace speedily shatters such dreams. Just as surely as God desires to lead us to a knowledge of genuine Christian fellowship, so surely must we be overwhelmed by a great disillusionment with others, with Christians in general, and, if we are fortunate, with ourselves."

"Because God has already laid the only foundation of our fellowship, because God has bound us together in one body with other Christians in Jesus Christ, long before we entered into common life with them, we enter into that common life not as demanders but as thankful recipients."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Together.