Girls Gone Reading's Reviews > Almost to Die For

Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway

Oct 05, 10

I have to admit to that I liked Almost to Die For more than I thought I would. Ana is a lovable character, and her inner dialogue is the perfect mix of quirk and real sentiment. In one part she explains the fact that her class schedule goes from physics to gym as bad karma. She does this, and so many other little things, in such a cute way that I couldn’t help but smile. Ana did that to me occasionally-she helped me finish the book and enjoy some parts of it immensely.

I only wish that those parts could have lasted throughout the whole novel. I enjoyed the parts where Ana was alone or dating, but the episodes with her mother were not as good. Her mother had some big secret that she wouldn’t share. Some big secret that could save Ana’s life, and I found it really hard to believe that a normal parent would do this. Occasionally, the her mother’s spoken dialogue sound forced as well. Her mother’s spells seem awkward. I didn’t like that all the spells had to rhyme, and they reminded me more of Dr. Suess than a scary incantation.

Overall I think that Tate Hallaway did a good job of creating a character that is lovable and likable. I don’t think this book was exactly for me, but I do plan to pass it on to someone who I think it was written for. In the right hands, I think Almost to Die For could be a great thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost to Die For.