Beth's Reviews > Halo

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: ya-lit, fantasy
Recommended for: Twilight lovers or lovers of bad romance novels
Read from October 05 to 30, 2010

OK, I'm going to start with a backhanded compliment. Given that Alexandra Adornetto is only 18 years old, she is rather gifted with words. But she hasn't yet learned to harness that gift. She's still a bit unwieldy with them, carelessly throwing them around all slap-dash.

This story felt like a rip-off of Twilight but with angels instead of vampires. There was absolutely nothing substantive to the relationship between Bethany and Xavier other than having to read over and over again for 460 pages how beautiful they were.

Another huge criticism I have is that if you're going to write a fantasy novel, then you need to find a way to make readers believe in the world you've created. When I read Harry Potter, for those moments I am reading the book, I believe there is a place called Hogwarts and that Voldemort is trying to kill Harry. But Adornetto never allowed me to leave this world and enter hers. The entire time I was reading this book I wasn't buying it. The idea of an angel falling in love with a human is an intriguing premise for a plot, and perhaps in the hands of a more mature author it would have worked, but this book felt completely superficial and unbelievable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halo.