Hillary's Reviews > Hetalia: Axis Powers, Vol. 1

Oct 20, 10

Recommended to Hillary by: Older teen girls
Recommended for: Older teen girls
Read from October 05 to 19, 2010

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but after hearing how funny and un-PC this was I thought I'd be rotfl. Unfortunately, it was not so for me.
Several teen girls expressed their utter love for this title saying that it also makes the reader want to learn more about the countries and wars/battles mentioned in the book. However, not one of them Googled anything themselves so the whole "educational" slant was a sham. To me, the fem-boy personifications of countries fail overall because world conflict cannot truly be translated into interpersonal relationships. However, the artwork is good and the characters are all very cute.
The ethnic stereotypes as viewed from a Japanese pov are at most un-PC but I found nothing offensive or too funny. Some comments and notes did make me smile.

"[American ice cream] In America, there are ice cream trucks patrolling neighborhoods all the time. Even without going to the store, customers can score a variety of flavors in bright reds, blues and beyond. As if that's not enough, the calorie-starved consumer can even buy massive buckets of ice cream. These legendary super-sized portions are NOT urban legends."

"Bastards! How dare they underestimate the all mighty France! I may be a lover, but I'm a fighter, too! The only reason Paris was taken over by Germany was because God had hemorrhoids that day!"

"China, you run in there and bust out some crazy Shaolin kung-fu, then I'll easily capture them when they're all tired and beat up. It will mean a fight to the death. . . _for you_!

I'm hoping the anime (on order) will add some energy and spark to the characters.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hetalia.

Selina Tang Right now, this is my favorite anime series. And I DID look up information on the Winter War between Russia and Finland. I also went to my local library and took out MANY country books, especially on my favorite characters and the axis and allies.This series also makes world history classes a whole lot less boring.