Claire (YA Bookie Monster)'s Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Aug 31, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own, my-arcs
Read from February 27 to April 06, 2011

The Twelve Dancing Princesses was one of my favourite fairy tales growing up, and Entwined was a great take on the story! Heather Dixon's writing was absolutely beautiful, as was the world that was created in Entwined and the story that was told.

One of my favourite things about this book was the lovely atmosphere and setting. Seeing as this book was a retelling of a fairy tale, you would expect the setting to have a sort of whimsical feeling, and it really did. While reading, I was really able to envision the rich settings of the castle and the silver forest. It all felt so enchanting and magical! I think that the amazing setting just enhanced the story and added so much!

I really liked alot of the characters in Entwined. The main character, and eldest sister, Azalea was such a caring, wonderful character. After the death of her mother, Azalea really becomes almost like a mother to her younger sisters, and I really liked that about her. She cared so much about her family and seemed to be like the family rock. I don't think that her sisters would have been able to cope as well as they did with their mother's death had Azalea not been there to comfort them.

Also, I actually really liked the character Keeper. Although he was the villian of the book, I was really intrigued and captivated by him and the mystery that clouded him. He was really interesting to read about and I found myself looking forward to the scenes that he was in! I also thought that he was kind of sexy hehe... I seem to have a weakness for the bad guys in books!

Because Entwined took place in a fantasy world with a society that seemed to resemble that of Victorian era England more than that of the society that we live in today, the romance side of the book was there, but a bit lighter that I would have liked. In Entwined, the characters didn't just jump into a romance with kissing, etc.. The romances had to involve courting and the courting part of the book, although sweet and romantic, didn't provide much room for kissing scenes (which I like!)!

Also, as I mentioned before, Heather Dixon's writing was beautiful, but I also found Entwined to be quite a slow read. Despite the lovely writing, it wasn't a book that I could sit down with and read in one sitting. It was just a bit too slow for me to be able to do that, in my opinion.

All in all, I really enjoyed this retelling of the classic fairy tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses! I really liked alot of the characters (even the bad guy!) and just adored the rich atmosphere that Heather Dixon created with her words. She really has such a lovely writing style! Although I would have liked a bit more in the romance department and a bit of a faster pace, I really enjoyed reading this book and would definitely recommend it!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.

03/02/2011 page 31
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Asriani (new) - added it

Asriani Do you get the ARC?

Claire (YA Bookie Monster) Aleetha wrote: "Do you get the ARC?"

Yup, I got one in December :)

message 3: by Asriani (last edited Feb 27, 2011 11:27PM) (new) - added it

Asriani YAY. Congrats. You are so lucky

Betsy good review. . .I'm 1/4 of the way through and loving it so far.