Katina's Reviews > Angela's Ashes

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Oct 15, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in September, 2010

Apparently, I'm on a memoir kick lately. I've been meaning to read this book forever, and I'm glad I finally found a copy at the library. McCourt is an excellent writer, and he did an incredible job giving voice to his childhood experiences. He captured the ways in which he was innocent to the ways of the world, but schooled in all kinds of loss, hunger and suffering. Like "The Glass Castle," this book made me think a lot about neglected children and alcoholic or otherwise addicted parents. McCourt's admiration and affection for his dad, a drinker who literally left his family to starve while he drank his wages away in England, was heartbreaking. This book, and others like it, remind me of the strength of family ties and how much a parent means to a child - whether they parent with tenderness and care, or haphazardly, with only fleeting glimpses of love.

Aside from the family drama, I learned quite a bit about Ireland by reading this book. Jeez - it was bleak back in the day, and I'm not even talking about the potato famine. The book also sparked some thoughts about welfare and charity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angela's Ashes.