Brad's Reviews > Night of the Living Trekkies

Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson

Oct 28, 2010

bookshelves: zombies, cinematic, exceeded-my-expectations, guiltiest-of-pleasures, horror, humorous, impulsive-bookstore-pick, trek
Read from October 19 to 22, 2010

What can one expect from a book called Night of the Living Trekkies?
1. Freaky zombies ✓
7. Twists and turns ✓
8. Plenty o' death ✓
9. A Kirk style hero and his buxom, leggy, scantily clad partner ✓
10. The obligatory, cheesy, happy-Trek ending ✓
Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall deliver on every expectation and then throw in some seriously cool twists:
1. The Zombies are from space!
2. Not all the uniforms are Trek. Can you say Princess Leia fighting zombies in her slave girl bikini?!
3. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, Star Wars references abound, driving our captain, Jim Pike, crazy!
4. Serious, gory, Zombie slaying madness with seriously cool Trek weapons (remember Amok Time?)!
5. A Convention within a Convention on the Edge of Forever!
6. Nuclear Blasts that turn out to be fusion bombs that put an end to USA's sixth largest city!
7. Twists and turns and octopus hands!
8. Plenty o' death to plenty o' red shirts!
9. A Kirk style hero with some genuine military training for that added flavour of believability ;)
10. 35 exciting chapters named after the best Trek episodes you can remember :)
I expected the book to end with me smiling a little -- maybe more of a smirk -- and shaking my head over the 17 bucks I wasted. I didn't expect to love it. And I did. It started to drag for about two chapters at the end, but even that couldn't wipe away the brilliance of Night of the Living Trekkies.

I don't know that people will like this book if they aren't fans of at least Zombies or Trek, but if you're a fan of both this book is a photon torpedo. It's slick, action-packed, wittingly hits all the right notes and plays by the rules of its sources, and it is ready, this minute, to be turned into an excellent film. I hope it makes it to the big screen, but even if it doesn't, I'll be returning to Houston and the problem of Third Eye Space Zombies real soon.

Beam me up, Kevin and Sam!
38 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Living Trekkies.

05/29 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you say Princess Leia fighting zombies in her slave girl bikini?!

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan How did you get those check marks into your review?

Brad In the lowest tech way possible. I typed in "check mark" on google, followed the link to wikipedia, copied a check mark and pasted it. I was surprised it worked, actually.

Brad Ceridwen wrote: "Can you say Princess Leia fighting zombies in her slave girl bikini?!

Oh yes? I am interested in your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter."

Consider yourself subscribed.

message 5: by Manny (new)

Manny I know so little about fighting zombies that I imagine a slave girl bikini would be an unsuitable way to dress... I'd be more inclined to go for full body armour, with a couple of cricket bats. Maybe I should read this book and bring myself up to date?

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert A cricket bat did well in Shaun of the Dead...heavy armour reduces your advantage of speed but is bound to make it harder to get bitten!

Brad There are some Klingons who travel with our heroes, and they're heavily armored, and it even saves one of them from an ankle bite, so there is something to be said for ankle armor, but our lovely Leia is fleet of foot and that saves her a couple of times. But these space zombies aren't "runners" so speed is a big asset.

message 8: by Manny (new)

Manny I'm learning things here that could save my life, I see.

OK, if I ever have to fight space zombies, I'm wearing my hibiscus-print Bermudas and running shoes. I think that's as close as I can get. I've already thrown out all the body armour.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I just figured out our Halloween costumes this year.

message 10: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad You've gotta post pictures of that.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think you want to see pictures of me in a Leia slave girl bikini.

message 12: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars