Torzilla's Reviews > Wake Unto Me

Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach

Sep 28, 2012

bookshelves: arc, did-not-finish, reviewed
Read from May 01 to 04, 2011

I was intrigued when I first started reading WAKE UNTO ME. Then I stopped to watch Obama's speech about Bin Laden. Fast forward two days later, and have now DNF'ed the novel.

Caitlyn was a sympathetic character, but then at some point along the journey to France, she transformed from someone I could tolerate as the heroine to someone I could not stand. Suddenly, she went from a "normal" teenage girl with issues to someone who's a blabber mouth speaking her mind about everything. Blame it on being nervous, but she began annoying me because of that behavior.

Another element I took issue with was the voice. For me, it was bland and detached, feeling more like a history book than a YA novel. There was also a lot of telling in the story and barely any showing. For so much emphasis on showing in stories, I'm surprised that so many YA debuts don't have much.

One of the elements that I was most excited about was the romance with Raphael. Too bad I nearly reached the halfway point and only saw him two times. After Caitlyn's behavior at her new boarding school, the romance was the only thing I looked forward to. Alas, I could only read for so long before I gave up.

I know some people who said they loved the book, so really, it all just depends on the reader's mindset, I think. I began this book with a certain amount of excitement. I continued wanting to finish it ASAP so I could start a new book, and I think that mentality is what spoiled my experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake Unto Me.