Colleen's Reviews > The Gargoyle

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: fiction, supernatural, bookshelf-worthy, don-t-die-before-you-read-this
Read from October 04 to 25, 2010

This is not just a book, it's an adventure. You can tell that Davidson did not rush this book. The writing is detailed and vivid but not overdone. The characters jump off the page when you're reading this book, its like you're right there with them. It's amazing, it's a great read, it's an experience.

This book should not be underestimated, there are stories within stories and meanings within meanings and real depth. The writing is excellent. This book will move you emotionally and not always for the better. I will never be able to hear about a burn victim again without cringing and thinking back to this book. I will never get the scene of the Archangel Michael in hell out of my head. It was beautifully done!!

I was a little disappointed with the ending being anti-climatic but I'm hoping that's because there will be a sequel.

So here I am having to go on to another book, which always stinks after finding a great book, because many subsequent books pale in comparison. I was used to mundane writing and it made me happy but now I've tasted greatness and everything else doesn't make the grade. Its like being a kid and thinking that Hershey's chocolate is great, until you grow up and taste real chocolate and know that you've been eating crap all those years. Oh well.....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gargoyle.

10/06/2010 "Wow, what a book! Davidson is the king of description. I wanted to jump out of my own skin when he started explaining the process of taking off the old skin and replacing it with new skin. I have never had a book effect me so profoundly. I was totally skeeved. )But in a good way, if that makes any sense). I am in awe of this writing....it is really great!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Great review, Colleen. I love your chocolate metaphor!

Colleen You know, I thought of you after I read this book. I've been intending to email you to check out this book. I think you will really like this book. If you read this book, let me know what you think.

Regina I have this book in audio format, I can't wait to check it out.

Colleen Regina,

I hope you really like it. I actually listened to most of it on CD and the reader does a great job. Let me know what you think.

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Nov 28, 2010 08:29AM) (new) - added it

Jackie Excellent review. Makes me want to read the book.

Colleen Thanks Jackie. Let me know if you do.

message 8: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie I added it To Read.

Regina I finished this a few weeks back and it was fantastic. Haunting.

Weronika love the review Colleen! the story is breathtaking one of my fav :)

Colleen Thanks Weronika,

I am really looking forward to Andrew Davison's new book. He said he was working on one but he said it could take years. And that's ok with me, I wouldn't want him to rush the book...his books are worth the wait!!

Weronika Oh that's exciting :) I'm looking forward to it! Thanks! And yes they are def worth the wait

message 13: by LilaBird (new) - added it

LilaBird This sounds amazing! I love the way you shelved it too: "don't die before you read this" Ha! Love it. Can't wait to read it!