Kimberly Kincaid's Reviews > Girls' Poker Night

Girls' Poker Night by Jill A. Davis

Oct 05, 10

Read from October 04 to 05, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I snapped this book up after reading the first few pages in the book store. Davis had me at the top of page two, and I literally had the whole thing read in one sitting (okay, after I got home!). The book has a definite stream-of-consciousness feel, but I think that's definitely its charm. Ruby is both flawed and hilarious, and makes for a really great heroine. Davis really weaves a lovely and poignant set of circumstances into Ruby's life, and her voice is so wonderfully quirky and unique that I couldn't get enough. Too many one-liners to list, and all of them had me laughing out loud (the Sister Goddess one where she deadpans, "My vagina can't talk right now because it's still trying to figure out what to wear." had me HOWLING I was laughing so hard!), and yet there were also parts of the book that had me saying, "Oh! Just...oh." (hello, where Michael calls her answering machine and tries to guess the color of her toenail polish- God, I was in love with him right then and there!). Don't even get me started about how I cried at the column Ruby writes at the end of the book and how Michael just nonchalantly says, "Nice column". Sigh. Ruby Capote comes of age late, but man does she do it with a bang. Great, great, entertaining, endearing story. I loved it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls' Poker Night.