Alyssa's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

May 03, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from April 28 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

I just want to ask one question. Why the hell didn't I read this book sooner?!?!?!?!?! What's the matter with me?!?!?! I knew it was a popular book and that EVERYONE was raving about it but I just didn't get my arse in gear, lol! Well I can tell you this, I'm running to go find the short stories in the series & I'll be pre-ordering my copy of Heart of Steel.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of steampunk. For some reason it's just hard to me to wrap my mind around the concept. I keep trying to fit a time period to it or compare with something known to me & I think that's the problem, it doesn't compare to anything else. It's a world all of it's own. That being said, the first 10% of the book was difficult for me. There was alot of introduction to the world itself that in some points made my eyes glaze over. However, once past that the story took off and I never looked back. Now, could I tell you what a bounder, bugger or Horde was - um, that would be a fat NO. Do I care, that would also be another NO! The story was so well written and the characters so loveable that it honestly didn't matter to me.

Rhys - literally an Iron Duke! He wanted Mina from the start and was willing to overcome and shatter any objections that she had to them being together. He never gave up, even when she though he did, because he was willing to wait for her to accept him.

Mina - I can't imagine going through life having everyone hate & curse you just because of the way you look or what your appearance represents to others. She was such a strong woman in most ways, but very resigned to the fact that she could never have the life Rhys promised or that she wanted. I'm thrilled that she was able to overcome her insecurities.

So next time you guys come across another book as great as this one, please do whatever necessary to make sure I don't wait so long to read it(scream, hold your breath until I give up, nag me incessantly...), lol!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie great book. enjoy!

Alyssa Thanks!

message 3: by Sans (new)

Sans Great review! I keep picking this up but then get distracted by other things. I need to rectify that.

Mindy Ditto what Sans said. I keep putting off reading this. I need to step this up on my TBR list after reading this review. Thanks!!

Alyssa Thanks Sans & Mindy! Definitely a must read that I don't think you'll be disappointed with :)

Catherine I can't believe you waited so long either, Alyssa! This book was excellent!