Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Oct 09, 2010

bookshelves: ya, favorites
Read in October, 2010

Very few authors make my "must read" list, especially not Genre Hoppers like Melina Marchetta. But she's brilliant. Saving Francesca is the 3rd novel I've read by MM and I hope it's not the last.

Melina Marchetta uses first person to create a very vivid, believable and genuine voice. The characters are real. Often, after I finish the books I find myself lingering in the world she created. I have trouble putting down a MM book, even after I reach the last page. Whenever it comes to reviewing her books I'm always at a loss. I'm simply in love with them, and not in a way I can logically explain (because love isn't logical).

Saving Francesca talks about a lot about depression. But it's not preachy or trite, it's not even the main character who has depression. But the struggles of Francesca are realistic, especially set against the background of what's going on with her mother. The characters are complex and they grow as the story goes on. This is not a light fun read, but a book you need to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

Quotes Cassi aka Snow White Liked

Melina Marchetta
“I can't believe I said it out loud. The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenseless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit.”
Melina Marchetta, Saving Francesca

Melina Marchetta
“A piece of me is gone," she told me once while we were bra shopping. "I think we're made up of all these different pieces and every time someone goes, you're left with less of yourself.”
Melina Marchetta, Saving Francesca