Mary's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

1912723
Oct 04, 10

Read in July, 2010

3.5 stars.

The book wasn't as entertaining as the first, simply because I got used to Grover at Percy's side. The introduction of Tyson wasn't too strong, but as the series progress, he did grow on me.

What I liked about this book is that the "typical" bully didn't stay a bully. Clarisse had her shortcomings, but at the same point this book showcased that she wasn't the cliche bully that didn't have any other role in the book but as to act as trouble for the hero. She becomes a heroine herself -- giving ground to future relation growth between her and the other characters that supposedly don't like her. lol.

I find this book is more like a "setting the scene" book for the coming sequels. Major points went to the fact that I still know my Greek mythology. I liked the extra tidbits what with the Golden fleece and the cyclops island that tickled my imagination and how Riordan was able to twist the original stories to fit his own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.