An Abundance of Books's Reviews > Agnes and the Hitman

Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie

Oct 04, 10

I own a copy

Agnes is a food writer struggling with her latest article, hosting a wedding, renovating her beloved new home, having doubts about her chronically absent fiance, when someone breaks into her house to steal her dog. Her good friend, and retired mobster, calls in his (maybe shady) nephew Shane to help protect Agnes. And then the plot goes out of control. I liked the characters of Agnes and Shane, but how could they possibly keep up with a story that kept bigger and weirder?
Agnes and her fiance Taylor originally bought her home from Brenda, the mother of a childhood friend. Part of the contract was that Brenda's granddaughter's wedding be held at the home in lieu of 3 months of mortgage payments. If there's no wedding they Taylor and Agnes will basically loose the house. Agnes has become accustomed to dealing with the groom's mother who wants the wedding at the country club, but suddenly the florist, photographer, and reverend don't want to do the wedding. On top of this, Brenda is suddenly trying to move the wedding to the country club also. On top of this, poorly nicknamed swam rats keep breaking into Agnes house to steal her dog. Then hitmen are showing up in her kitchen trying to kill her. Her ex mobster Knows something, but he isn't telling. Hint: a possible dead body in the basement, some actual dead bodies, and a missing 5 million dollars!
I like Crusie's books, but this one just got out of hand. I also find that Bob Mayer's writing really sticks out from the rest of the book, so you don't get a nice flow. However Crusie's signature humor was present throughout the book. I loved the Cranky Agnes articles that preceded every chapter. Agnes and the Hitman also had the funniest angry sex scene I've read.

Verdict:
Meh. I might be happier with this book if I had checked it out of the library as opposed to buying for my Kindle. This was not the best Jennifer Crusie book I've ever read, and I don't really care for these Crusie/Mayer joint ventures. It helped me pass the time during my flight, but, yeah, I wouldn't recommend it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agnes and the Hitman.

Quotes An Abundance of Books Liked

Jennifer Crusie
“Any instructions?” Carpenter said.
“Yeah,” Shane said. “Shoot anybody who looks at Agnes funny. And anybody else you don’t like. I’m getting tired of this shi*.”
“Somebody needs a hug,” Carpenter said.
“Humor,” Shane said. “Har.”
Jennifer Crusie, Agnes and the Hitman

Jennifer Crusie
“I'm talkin' about you. Stop pretending you're normal. You're insane. Make that work for you.”
Jennifer Crusie, Agnes and the Hitman