Arlene's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Oct 12, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, read-2010, ya-fantasy, aussie-books, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Gift from Alexa - Thank you!!
Recommended for: Fans of Graceling and Fire
Read from October 04 to 12, 2010

“Finn, listen!” Trevanion (Finnikin’s father) said, his voice raw. “I prayed to see you one more time. It’s all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I’ll lead them west.”

“We have a dilemma, then,” Finnikin said fiercely. “Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mine?”

Melina Marchetta fan club??? Sign me up now! If she has more Finnikin of the Rock type books up her sleeve, my pocketbook is in a world of hurt because OMG this book blew my mind away and tugged at my heart the entire time! I haven’t taken this type of fantastical journey since Cashore’s Graceling and Fire.

Marchetta’s writing is magical, flawless and top tier in her genre. She has a seamless ability to catapult her readers into an undefined time that feels both medieval and mythical with a hint of realism that keeps you grounded to the here and now.. Her characters are witty with just the right amount of snark, which is my preferred method of communication. I loved Finnikin and Evanjelin. Their journey through The Land of Skuldendore was filled with intrigue and most of all hope for the people of Lumatere.

About the book: At the age of nine, Finnikin received a prophecy from the gods that warned him about the destruction of his homeland Lumatere. So Finnikin, Prince Balthazar, and the prince’s cousin Lucian, bonded together at the rock to make a blood sacrifice to keep their home safe. Despite their plea to the gods, the ‘five days of the unspeakable’ occurred and Lumatere was destroyed and the royal family was slaughtered. After ten years in exile, Finnikin is led once again to a rock to meet a novice, Evanjalin, who is plagued by dreams of those held behind the walls of Lumatere waiting for someone to rescue them and return their land of light.

This book makes me feel quite conflicted because as I rage on and blast authors that can’t seem to write a stand-alone book now-a-days. However, Finnikin of the Rock is one that I feel is worthy of sequels because simply put, I ♥ Finn. What a great book that deserves to be read NOW and continue on for quite some time. I’ll be sure to keep my eye out for more of Marchetta’s fictional magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

Quotes Arlene Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best.”

Melina Marchetta
“Sir Topher finally looked up. “Because any hope beyond that, my boy, would be too much. I feared we would drown in it.”
"Then I choose to drown,” Finnikin said. “In hope. Rather than float into nothing.”
tags: hope

Melina Marchetta
“Somehow, even in the worst of times, the tiniest fragments of good survive. It was the grip in which one held those fragments that counted.”

Melina Marchetta
“This hand says you spend the rest of your life with me," he said, holding out his left hand, "and this one says I spend the rest of my life with you. Choose."

She bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She took both of his hands in hers and he shuddered. "I will die protecting you," he says.

There was a look of dismay on her face. "Just like a man of this kingdom, Finnikin. Talking of death, yours or mine, is not a good way to begin a-"

Isaboe gave a small gasp when he leaned forward, his lips an inch away from hers. "I will die for you," he whispered.

She cupped his face in her hands. "But promise me you'll live first. Because nothing we are about to do is going to be easy and I need you by my side.”

Melina Marchetta
“Finn, listen!" Trevanion said, his voice raw."I prayed to see you one more time. It's all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I'll lend them west."

"We have a dilemma, then," Finnikin said fiercely. "Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mine?”

10/10/2010 page 110
26.0% "I adore this book so far! I feel like I'm reading Graceling and Fire, which I love!" 2 comments
10/11/2010 page 279
67.0% "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Finnikin find her NOW! I love this book, but I think I said that already. I don't want to finish it, but I can't stand the torture." 24 comments

Comments (showing 1-50)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Karen This one sounds great. I'm looking forward to reading your review.

I've had it on my wishlist forever but copies are few and far between over here or really expensive! I'm hoping they do a Kindle edition soon. I keep bugging Amazon :)

Arlene I can't wait to start it. I've heard great things about this one.

I'll cross my fingers that you get an ecopy for your kindle. :)

message 48: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I want to read this so badly it almost hurts.

Arlene I can send it to you when I'm done. It's a great book so far!

message 46: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim YAY, I just got a copy online, but thanks anyway Arlene ^^

Kirsten I want this book now! Haha Your status updates really got me. ;)

Arlene LOL Kirsten! I have it sitting next to me at my desk and I want to read more so bad, but I don't think that will look favorable at work. Five more hours left! Come on clock MOVE!!

Kirsten Haha... The next book I want was in my sister's room this morning and I almost woke her up just to get it and bring it to school with me today.... alas I have no book...

Arlene LOL Kirsten, you're a good sister, but I would have walked in on my sis for a book. :)

Alexa Welcome to the Melina Marchetta fanclub! XD lol

~Tina~ Wonderful review! I think this is the first time Marchetta attempted fantasy and by the looks of your review, achieved it quite well.
I've read her other books and there more dramatic/comedy with a side of feel good so I'm looking forward tackling this fantasy book:)

Arlene @ Alexa, thank you! I can't wait to read more of her books.

@ Tina, she did a flawless job at tackling the fantasy genre. I'm going to get going on Jellicoe after the next 3 books I have to get too. I can't wait to read that now.

Kirsten Is this a stand alone?

Alexa There will be a sequel, but it will be about a different character that was introduced in Finnikin. Can't wait!! X3

Arlene Even if it isn't a stand-alone, the story is complete on it's own and the only reason you'll want a sequel is because the characters are full of awesomesauce.

message 35: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Wonderful review Arlene. This book is on my urgently must read list. I want to meet Finn :)

Arlene Thank you Nic. I hope you meet Finnikin soon. I'm re-reading that last few pages again tonight. Not ready to let it go quite yet. :P

Karen I got it, I got it! My very expensive but very beautiful copy of Finnikin has arrived :)

Arlene The Slowest Bookworm wrote: "I got it, I got it! My very expensive but very beautiful copy of Finnikin has arrived :)"

Woo hoo!!!! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. Happy Reading!

Kirsten I'm done with school today... I can hear this book calling my name all the way from Borders....*I'm coming! Don't worry!*

Arlene LOLOL Kirsten!! I hope they have it! :)

~Tina~ Just picked up my copy today woooot! I'll have to start it some time next week though, I have my hands full this week reading The Lost Hero, it's a 500+ book, but I just want to savor it:)

Arlene Yay Tina! I can't wait for you to meet Finnikin. The Lost Hero? I have no clue what that is, but I hope you enjoy!! :)

Alexa Glad yall are going to read it! :3

message 26: by ~Tina~ (last edited Oct 15, 2010 04:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Arlene wrote: "Yay Tina! I can't wait for you to meet Finnikin. The Lost Hero? I have no clue what that is, but I hope you enjoy!! :)"

The Lost Hero is the spin off books to The Lightning Thief ya know, the Percy Jackson books I've been trying to get you to read like forevah now? LOL

Arlene LOL!! Well now that I saw your review, I'm just that much closer to reading them. I really wish I had more time. It sounds like a great series. :)

Milly What? A sequel to Finnikin? Awesome!!! I wonder what it'll be about. If it's as good as Finnikin, I'd welcome it with open arms!

Arlene Yes Milly! Alexa told me about it. I'll PM you the details. Woo hoo!

Shelley Thanks for the review. I would have never read it w/o your praise. I finished it last night and was surprised ow much I enjoyed it.

Arlene That's great to hear Shelley. :) You know Froi comes out next month??? I'm so excited to read that book. I pre-ordered it through fishpondworld. Must.stop.stalking.mailbox. :P

Shelley I saw there is a sequel/companion. Did not know it was next month! I know it is Froi' story, but I hope we get some Finn and Isaboe and see happened with Lady Beatrice and Trevanion.

I really liked how Marchetta was real with Froi and his transformation was not overnight. That he was honest with The Guard about not having any loyalty to Lumatere.

so many books are coming out that I have been looking forward to in the next month...

Arlene Yes, I hope we get some Finnikin and Isaboe as well as Trevanion and Lady Beatrice too. There was more to their story and I want to see what happens with Trevanion.

It really surprised me how flawless her fantasy writing is when she specializes in contemporary. She is my favorite author and I'd read anything she pens. :)

Yes, there are always new releases that I can't wait for. I always feel so far behind. Can't keep up. :/

Shelley oh you are going to get me in trouble...this fishpond site is going to be dangerous. Gonna order it in a second. I hate waiting! Ordered a book from the UK cos I could not wait until February (3rd book in Spy in the House/Mary Quinn series). Now thanks to you, I don't have to wait for Froi of the Exiles.

Btw I would have never know she was your fav author. You are so quiet about her. LOL. You must be her biggest fan!!!

Arlene HA! Her books are awesome. What can I say. :D Have you read Graffiti Moon and Raw Blue? You can get those there too. You can find Beetle Meets Destiny at the lib.

Glad you're getting Froi. I have no clue why I keep checking my mailbox because I know it doesn't come out til next month. I guess I'm hoping the book gawds will smile down on me and make my day. :P

Shelley I got an estimated delivery date 30th September - 13th October, so you never know the gods may get it to you in less than two weeks! *fingers crossed*

message 15: by Arlene (last edited Sep 18, 2011 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene ~gasp~ Maybe I need to re-order it to get that delivery date. I hope it comes soon. Been waiting too long for this one. :)

Wendy that reminds me... i gotta get froi ordered.
can't wait!

Arlene LOL Wendy! Yes don't forget to order it. We're all here just hoping it comes early. :)

Wendy I freaked for a minute, because it isn't set to be published in the US until March (kill me).

woo hoo for fishpond world.

Shelley Just shared with my friend/classmate, who gave Finnikin 5 stars about ordering Froi on fishpondworld. She is v. excited. Arlene, you should get a cut of their biz!

Shelley Oh no. Bad news today from Fishpond. Got this message.
Froi of the Exiles is not yet published. Your pre-order has been recorded. This title is due for publication on 13 March 2012. Your copy has been reserved and we will ship it to you as soon as possible after the release date." I knew it was too good to be true!

Arlene Nooooooooooo!!!!! Tell me it ain't so!!

Arlene Okay, I just checked my order status. It still says:

Tracking Status:

Your order for the item below has now completed administrative processing and has been released to the allocated warehouse.

We estimate Froi of the Exiles will ship to you by 16/10/2011. An email notification will be sent on dispatch.

I'm going to hold my breath, not make a sound and hopefully they'll overlook me and make a mistake by sending me Froi next month. If your windows shatter, that's me screeching at the top of my lungs that they moved my delivery date. ~holds breath~ >.<

Shelley Maybe you got you order in under a certain (internal) deadline. I think you would have heard differently. positive thoughts are coming your way!

message 6: by Arlene (last edited Sep 19, 2011 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene I hope we all get ours next month. We're not asking for too much, right?

message 5: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I totally don't want to spoil the story for myself...so I have only read the first little bit of your review...but WOW! I am too excited to read this one! Starting it tonight :D

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz OMG Arelene....you are always right! I loved loved loved Finnikin. He's the reason I stuck with the book because I loved his character from the beginning. It took me a while to get into this one...it's not my kind of story...but I am sooo glad I stuck with it! What a fantastic read...I loved Evanjalin and Finnikin so much...and the relationship between Finn and his father was so touching! Brilliant writing by Marchetta, had this been another author I may not have given it the chance. So glad I read this. A sequel would be brilliant...we can hope :D Oh and did I mention...I love Finnikin?

Arlene LOL Liz! So glad you enjoyed this one. I remember it took me 80 pages or so to fall into the story, but when I did.... WOW! Yes, Finnikin was nice to read about. You actually get more of him in Froi. I hope you get to that one soon!. :)

Basuhi Great review, Arlene !
I loved that quote too. And I was always looking forward to the father-son moments ever since :)

Arlene Thank you Basuhi! I loved Finn in this book!!