Crystal's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy
Read from April 05 to 09, 2011

This book, more than the last one, reminded me of how much this is just Harry Potter with Greek gods. brooding, impulsive, supernaturally gifted young male protagonist, with a dreaded prophecy (possibly) hanging over his head? check. Plucky, strong, and smart female sidekick? check. slightly goofy but ever loyal best friend? check. school vs camp--oh yeah, huge difference. It doesn't make the books unenjoyable--this is obviously a format that works. But it was more noticeable this time around.
Also noticeable was the constant use of the word "shined". as in, he "shined" his flashlight around. maybe I'm crazy, but I thought the proper word in English was "shone" for past tense shining. Then I came across a sentence that used an adjective instead of the adverb form. As in, "he did something bad." instead of "badly". I can't remember the exact sentence. Grammar mistakes like that make me crazy. This is not a rough draft. This is a professionally published best selling book. HIRE A BETTER PROOFREADER! I'm sure you can afford one.
Nonetheless, I read the book quickly and easily. I enjoyed the continuing introduction to the "other" gods, both major ones that hadn't been encountered before, like Hera, and minor ones that I am not sure I even heard of before, like Hecate and Nemesis. I liked the resolution to Grover's Pan quest. and I immediately picked up the last book in the series when I finished this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.