Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)'s Reviews > Arson

Arson by Estevan Vega

Oct 04, 2010

Read from October 04 to 05, 2010 — I own a copy

From rage comes fire, at least in Arson Gable’s case.

Arson creates fire and it’s consuming him, but he can’t make it stop. He’s always felt alone, his grandmother loves him one minute and despises him the next. His mother died when he was born, fueling his grandmothers hatred of him and he has no idea who his father is. He works a dead end job at an ice cream parlor and has no friends, until a strange girl moves in next door.

That girl is Emery and her life hasn’t been all that fun either. She wears a mask to cover scars of an incident that happened in her childhood, even though her parents hate it and it’s left her ridiculed. Arson & Emery end up becoming close, but something nasty is about to happen that will change both their lives forever.

I was blown right out of the water by Arson, it was hugely engaging! Talent at such a young age freaks me out and make no mistake Estevan Vega is talented. His writing sucks you in and paints a clear picture of the life Arson & Emery live, on the outskirts of the “cool” crowd.

Towards the end of the book, I was talking to the characters like they existed, they seemed that real to me. “Don’t go, don’t do it!” Yes, it was a page turned, one full day of reading and I was done. But damnit if it didn’t end in an epic cliffhanger, so Estevan write faster, I need to know whats next!

The characters were very realistic, take away the fire and you still have a boy uncomfortable with his own skin and a girl who shows strength but inside is just as screwed up as the rest of us were as teenagers. Add family problems to the mix and you’ve got the teenage years we all lived through.

Arson’s grandmother is very much like the grandmother from VC Andrews Flowers in the Attic. You hate her right from the get go, no matter what she does. I loathed her with the fire of a thousand suns and really hoped Arson would set her on fire, alas it wasn’t to be. Grandma is scary, trust me. I got the creeps something fierce.

I loved Emery, she’s snarky even though she’s been through and continues to go through so much. She keeps that attitude as a mask of sorts, underneath the visual mask she wears. Arson, what can I say about Arson? How he continues to live, after all the horrible things he’s been through is amazing. And I have a feeling, the worst is yet to come for Arson.

Why a 4 star rating? The speed kind of fell flat mid book, I was waiting for “something” to happen. Of course that something happens at the end, but it took awhile to get to that point. Overall, I loved it but wished the pace would have kept steady. That said, I am patiently waiting, (maybe not so patiently) for the second book in the series.

Add to it, the author is 21. I can’t imagine writing something so emotional & true at that age. Kudos Estevan!

Arson is a twisted, emotional journey and well worth the read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arson.

10/04/2010 page 125