Samantha's Reviews > Bringing Home the Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World's Most Coveted Handbag

Bringing Home the Birkin by Michael Tonello

Oct 04, 2010

Let's face it. For 99% of the world, an Hermes Birkin bag is virtually a mythological creature. We will read about it. We may even see pictures of it. But, we will likely never see one in person, much less touch one or own one! Michael Tonello tells his story of morphing from a New York based make-up artist to a Barcelona based, globe trotting, Birkin-buyer and he does it well. There are times where, Bringing Home the Birkin reads like he's performing spy missions and is practically a modern-day Robin Hood: securing Birkins from the evil and elusive Hermes and selling to the super-duper rich. (I mean, at $8,000-$40,000 a piece, you've gotta be more than just well-off!) The mystery Hermes has managed to create surrounding these bags and their "two-year waiting list" is incredible! Tonello's story is also part travelogue as we follow him all around the world in five-star hotels and restaurants, the chicest clothiers, and the hippest nightspots. Oh, and, of course, the major source of his income...eBay! I loved the book from start to finish and it made me realize that my handbag obsession? Nothing to be worried about! I'm merely the tip of the iceberg!

** When I win the lottery, oh yes, that bleu roi crocodile birkin will be mine :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Home the Birkin.