Staci Woodburn's Reviews > Prodigal Summer

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

Oct 05, 10

bookshelves: fiction

I loved this and feel kind of bitter towards other reviewers who said it contained too many descriptions of nature. C'mon! If you are in the mood for a spy novel you're browsing up the wrong bookshelf.

Nature is not just the setting of this novel, it is half of the story. Prodigal Summer is about a handful of characters, yes, and their interaction with nature, yes, but it's also about nature itself! The Circle of Life has a plot line of its own and should not be skimmed over as unnecessary scenery development.

Kingsolver has crafted a number of narratives here. There's the forest ranger, the widow and the old man, but there's also the coyotes, the trees, the crops and everything's dependence on everything else. The narratives are interwoven without being obvious, much like each of them and each of us are interwoven with every other life form. Sometimes it's so subtle you'd think they exist independently, but of course nothing does.

Look here. This was fabulous. The author's plot lines were intriguing, her characters were real and lovable and entertaining. It was educational and absolutely beautiful. She writes incredible sex scenes (I mean, yowza!) and knows her shit when it comes to the natural world. When you're done, you'll feel satisfied, hopeful and happy. And maybe, just maybe, you'll think twice about killing bugs, hunting predators, spraying poison on your crops and voting for the farm bill.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celeste (new)

Celeste I couldn't get into this. I really enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible, but this was too het.

Jessie Jellick Cool review! I love how you didn't just write why you liked the book, you really stood up for it! Brilliant :)