Cynthia .'s Reviews > Letters to a Young Poet

Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from October 04 to December 09, 2010

This book is my lifebuoy.

Rainer Maria Rilke's letters to Franz Kappus, an aspiring poet confined in a military academy, served as my motivation to writing and to moving forward in life.

His 7th letter made a great impact on my understanding about love and relationships. This is an excerpt:

It is also good to love: because love is difficult.

For one human being to love another human being: that is perhaps the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us, the ultimate task, the final test and proof, the work for which all other work is merely preparation.

That is why young people, who are beginners in everything, are not yet capable of love: it is something they must learn. With their whole being, with all their forces, gathered around their solitary, anxious, upward-beating heart, they must learn to love. But learning-time is always a long, secluded time, and therefore loving, for a long time ahead and far on into life, is: solitude, a heightened and deepened kind of aloneness for the person who loves.

This book has changed my life significantly. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters to a Young Poet.