Tina's Reviews > Flight to the Stars

liked it
bookshelves: filipino, 2010, contemporary, ya
Read from October 26 to 28, 2010

Original post at One More Page

Two reasons why I got this book:

1. It's written by a Filipino.
2. It's written by a sixteen-year-old girl.

I wrote my first story when I was a seven years old. It was a story about how the different weathers (sunny, cloudy, rainy, stormy) were all fighting over their reign in the sky, which led to the people on earth pleading for them to stop fighting because it was getting hard for them there. The next story I wrote (that I still have a copy of!) is The Two Slumber Parties, were two friends fight and set a slumber party on one date, putting one of their friends in the middle to choose. I wrote more stories after I realized and declared that I wanted to be a write when I grow up, filling notebooks and notebooks with stories which always had a happy ending.

So why don't I have a published novel now? Well, I blame it on real life taking over and me starting to get pickier and pickier with the stories I wrote. That, and computers, because around the time when I could have started submitting stories somewhere, I started getting into web design and that started my career as a web person. I admit to still feeling a pang of regret with my sort of forgotten writing "career", but that's why I join NaNoWriMo year after year.

Anyway, I was looking forward to reading Samantha's book because I was curious about what someone her age could write. Flight to the Stars is an anthology of three short stories that, as the blurb mentioned, "...tackles serious themes encompassing teenage life and Filipino dynamics." The title story, Flight to the Stars, tells the story of Mike and his relationship with his father and his mistress, and his own reflections on life as he gets married to the girl of his dreams. The second story, Sapphire, is about a girl and her battle with insecurities particularly with her weight, and her first heartbreak. The third story, The Purple Box, is about a man facing his sixty-first birthday with flashbacks on how he ended up where he was, thinking about the man who had inspired him to hope and the tragedy that shattered all that.

There is much promise in this collection of stories that the young author wrote. They're all positive, family-oriented stories, all full of hope and life lessons. Like what other reviews said, this is the kind of book that I wouldn't mind letting younger kids read, particularly those who are in their tweens and the ones who are ready to start transitioning to bigger, wordier books. There is a distinctly Filipino feel in their stories that makes them closer to the heart, and yet I think that people from other nationalities will also appreciate the stories, too. That doesn't mean that grown-ups won't appreciate this, though. I liked them well enough (even if I don't really consider myself as a grown up sometimes :P), and the stories kind of reminded me of my younger years and the little concerns that I had then, such as assignments, going to the prom, being late for school, and all that.

However, as an adult reader who's been reading a lot for the past few months, I think the age of the author really showed in her stories. Aside from the simple language, it pretty much showed that the author doesn't really know much of the different troubles of growing up, at least by experience. I'm not saying that I know everything of course, but I was kind of looking for something in the stories that would evoke some emotions from me that unfortunately I didn't get. These stories reminded me of the things I wrote when I was younger: written in rose-colored glasses, teetering at the edge of the serious, of the dark and the deep but never really making the plunge to see what's going to happen after. There were many unexplored parts and issues in the stories that could have been could have made a different impact on the stories. Spoiler warning starts here. Case in point: in Sapphire, the eating disorder that the heroine developed felt like it was rushed, especially on the part on how she got over it. Sure, I understand that you'd do everything for your family, but an eating disorder is not something you'd just get rid of at a snap of a finger, just because someone is watching. I've never had an eating disorder but I know friends who have tried to get over it and it's not easy. It's not a deal breaker, but I feel that it's important since this could be something that could spark a discussion with kids and their parents or their teachers, about eating disorders and self-image. Spoiler warning ends here. This may be just me nitpicking, of course...but readers who are looking for a very deep and emotional read may be a tad disappointed, so I would advise you to set your expectations right if you would decide to read this book.

Overall, though, this is a promising book, and I think it's a great feat for a 16-year-old to write something like this. I wonder now -- if she can get published, then I am pretty sure one or two (or ten!) of the hundreds of Filipino NaNoWriMo participants can do so, too. I bet if every budding writer in the Philippines had the same kind of support that Samantha Mae Coyiuto had, then we'd have more books written by Filipino authors. And with the number of book lovers here in the Philippines, I'm sure there are guaranteed readers, too. I will definitely be one of them. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight to the Stars.

10/27/2010 page 82
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely The book looks interesting. I have to grab a copy of myself and see if I agree with your rating. Joining NaNoWriMo seems like a good idea too. Ah, maybe someday when I have fewer books in my tbr pile!

message 2: by Jinky (new)

Jinky Quite a personal review; well done. ~I wish you much success in your endeavor at NaNoWriMo. May your work get published. I'm cheering for you and I'd definitely buy your book!! ~btw, what kind of support did Samantha get?

Tina KD: I'm having a hard time juggling work and NaNo, but it's fun. :P I think I challenge myself too much sometimes. Haha.

Jinky: If I am not mistaken, Samantha has been backed by teachers and other adults ever since she started writing. I'm not sure how many other writers have the same support from their teachers and all that. There's a program in NaNoWriMo for Young Writers, which I would have loved to plug in schools here if I wasn't the only one managing the region. :D

And thanks! :) I don't know when whatever I've written will get published, but there's still time. :D