Greta's Reviews > Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Oct 03, 10

I own a copy

I loved this book as a kid (Pippi starred as a Halloween costume at least once) and in reading it again as an adult, I'm blown away by how sly and subversive she is as a character. For instance, during Mrs. Settegren's coffee party, the adult women take turns complaining about the bad habits of their maids. Pippi chimes in repeatedly with the story of her grandmother's maid, Malin, who outrageously tops the womens' stories each time: if their maids stole, Malin couldn't sleep if she hadn't stolen something. If their maid was a pig, Malin actually went around with an apple in her mouth, and paper cuffs on her wrists. If their maids were rude to company, Malin greeted guests by biting their ankles. But as Pippi is being escorted out, she yells over her shoulder that the worst thing about Malin was that "SHE NEVER SWEPT UNDER THE BED!"
I didn't realize it at the time, but Pippi's grandiosity always makes a point, whether it's about the insipid Settegren children or bumbling and condescending adults, Pippi finds a way to make fun of them all, without anyone noticing. Great to re-read!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pippi Longstocking.