Lina's Reviews > The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1

The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1 by Rachel Caine

Oct 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: vampire-lit, fantasy-general, paranormal-fiction, paranormal-romance, teen-fiction-fantasy
Read from October 03 to 13, 2010

The Morganville vampire series is a group of books that I have heard of very often. While at times my interest did gravitate towards the books from time to time, the story just never seemed to grab me enough to buy it. However, the omnibus edition collecting the first two books was on sale at Wallmart. I couldn't lose unless the book was really bad. Like Once Dead, Twice Shy bad. Thankfully that was the case.

The first two books in the series are called The Glass House and Dead Girl Dance, which revolve around the character of Claire Danvers, a sixteen year old prodigy attending Texas Prairie University, and her friends Eve, Michael and Shane. The story takes place in the vampire-controlled city of Morganville, Texas.

Claire is a fun lead character and refreshingly is full of common sense, handling situations in a mature way. While she was certainly not dynamic or groundbreaking there was a proper balance of a teenage girl at sixteen-years old bit in a situation that tests her maturity. Since she is painted as an intellectual prodigy it is also refreshing to see her actually put that intellect to use. In Glass House, Claire actually utilizes her knowledge and love of books to solve a situation in order to protect her friends from trouble.

The secondary characters of Eve Rosser, Michael Glass and Shane Collins are all given personalities and histories that make them stand out. Eve, at first, comes off as typical Goth stereotype, but proves with her wit and character to be more than that. Michael is very complex with his hidden secrets about the house and his own true nature. Shane, the eventual love interest, is fascinating in his own right [thank God] with his complex story line and tragic backstory that fuels his character development.

Other interesting people that pop up during the story are Monica Morrel, Amelie [HVBIC], Oliver and a few others.

Alright, enough with the exposition, now time for the important part. The Vampires.

Personally, I find the vampires in this book to be refreshing. They are unapologetic, cruel and do not pretend to be human or care about the humans that live there. The only reason there is order, is because they realize it is better to allow humans a sense of security, than to have them rise up.

As I was reading various questions popped into my mind: How does Morganville work? How do the vampires keep power? What prevents others from coming in? Why don't people simply leave town? Thankfully this series answers all those questions and gives reasonable answers.

That being said while this book was written well and had good characters, I found it rather simple. It did not hold my attention with intense passion.

Final Grade: B

An interesting take on vampires and what it would be like for them to run a society. However, if you've already ready the early Anita Blake series or The Hollows series or the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries this is nothing special.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1.

10/10/2010 page 222
49.0% "Finished the first book Glass Houses and I really enjoyed it. I liked that Claire was an active intellect, Shane was an interesting lead in his own right. The secondary characters were fun and the history of the town made everything especially interesting. Looking forward to reading The Dead Girl's Dance."
show 1 hidden update…