Jim's Reviews > All the Lovely Bad Ones

All the Lovely Bad Ones by Mary Downing Hahn

2193587
Oct 09, 11

Read from October 03 to November 20, 2010

All the Lovely Bad Ones, by author Mary Downing Hahn, is yet another horrifyingly spooky young readers ghost story by an ageless wonder. This time MDH delivers a spine-chilling tale about siblings Travis and Corey who are visiting their grandma's inn for the summer. When they decide to play a terrifying trick on her guests, they inadvertently stir up a whole barrel of trouble, ya hear? Before they know it they're caught up in a firestorm of bitter hickish motel cooks, psychedelic pot-smoking hippie ghost hunters, a gaggle of adorable little child-spirits, and of course the vile bondage-loving Mistress Ada! It's pretty awesome, really.

MDH has really outdone herself this time. Just when I thought she couldn't sabotage her own writing any further, she comes up with this gem. Truthfully, this book started out pretty creepy. MDH is a perfectly capable writer and for a while I fooled myself into thinking she might actually write something, oh I don't know, scary? But it was just too much to ask. Right when I started to believe she might pull it off, she had to go and make all of the ghosts nothing more than a bunch of fun-loving orphan spirits. I'm now thoroughly convinced MDH needs to just go back to collecting social security.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Lovely Bad Ones.