Sbuchler's Reviews > Killbox

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, read-in-2010
Read from October 03 to 07, 2010

Genre: Space Opera

I adored this novel! It’s the fourth in the Sirantha Jax series; the backdrop is sweepingly epic “save the universe” from the Morgut invasion, which is biding fair to obliterate humanity. Despite the epic backdrop the emotional stories are very real. In many ways this book was sad (although it wasn’t depressing, oddly enough) – I really appreciate how Ann Aguirre continues Jax and March’s love story beyond the initial “I love you”. It’s complicated. It’s adult – they love each other but there are other priorities as well. They’ve recovered from the traumas of the earlier books, and enjoy their earlier closeness. However, their own values and priorities dictate that they choose things that sacrifice their own personal happiness for the greater good.

A similar realism applies to Jax’s friendships – in many ways the entire book is about saying goodbye in order to peruse the greater good. In each of the earlier books Jax acquired close friends, but in this one fate seems to be isolating her. Further more she increasingly worries about her own humanity as her body becomes more and more cyborg.

Jax’s personal (and emotional) story is punctuated with views of the political side of the epic drama – the book is interspersed with communications between Chancellor Tarn and a fellow he’s hired to help save humanity. An employee that Tarn ’s own communications indicate would topple his government if his employment became known. I am intrigued by the tantalizing question of who this very enigmatic and effective person was. I am sure this is a story that will be developed more in the sequels. (The end of the novel did make me wonder if there would be sequels, but Ann Aguirre’s website is very explicit –two more novels are planned in the Sirantha Jax series; I can’t wait!!!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killbox.