Nemo's Reviews > Letters of St. Augustine

Letters of St. Augustine by Augustine of Hippo

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: christian
Read in August, 2010

A collection of St. Augustine's letters in which he instructs the young, comforts the widowed, corrects those who have gone astray, shares intimate feelings with his friends and debates Biblical issues with St. Jerome and others.

On Discernment

It's not in the book or in the writer that readers discern the truth of what they read; they see it in themselves, if the light of truth has penetrated their minds.

On the Excellency of Christian Love

[Note: The following quote is the seed of the ideas St. Augustine later developed in his masterpiece [book:City of God|25673] ]

Are there any arguments, any philosophers' writings, any legal codes, worth comparing to the two precepts on which Christ says the whole law and the prophets depend: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and all your mind"; and "You shall love your neighbor as yourself"? Here we find physical science, since the causes of all existing things are in God the creator. Here we find ethics, since life is only good and honorable when we love the thing we are to love, namely God and our neighbor, in the right way. Here we find logic, since God alone is the truth and the light of a rational soul. Here, too, we find the welfare and renown of a nation, since no state can be perfectly established and preserved unless it is founded and bound together by faith and a stable union of hearts. This occurs when God, who is the highest and truest common good, is loved; and when all the people love one another sincerely in Him, since they love themselves for the sake of Him from Whom they cannot hide the true character of their love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters of St. Augustine.