Buggy's Reviews > Ride the Fire

Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare

Mar 12, 13

bookshelves: hist-rom, scars-r-sexy, shelf-11, tortured-hero, war, colonial-frontier
Recommended to Buggy by: Shawna and others
Read from November 14 to 19, 2011

Opening Line: "Nicholas leaned back in the wooden tub, closed his eyes, let the hot water soak the chill from his bones."

Well, that's it I'm no longer a Pamela Clare virgin. Although I may just become an addict now. And lucky me, I have SO much good reading to look forward to.

This was easily one of the best historical romances I've read. Now I know why everyone keeps recommending Pamela Clare. I just can't seem to bring myself back from the frontier of 1763, nor do I want to, and then there’s Nicholas... Sigh

There isn’t much I can say really that hasn’t been said already, Ride The Fire is an epic read, with characters that will stay with you long after you’ve finished. By the end I couldn’t believe how far they’d come and what they’d been through. And the detail paid to historical accuracy here is simply amazing. Down to the smallest of facts, including actual soldiers, battles, forts, and sieges. You’ll have no trouble being transported away and imagining yourself there. And how fun was the inclusion of “Ben” in the closing chapters?

In regards to the romance (big sigh) Bethie and Nicholas are just perfect; with a realistic, slow building love forming between two equally wounded souls. I love a tortured hero and Nicholas is about as good as it gets without being a bully (as most tend to come off before they fall in love) and I appreciated how his dark secrets weren’t given away all at once either. I was on pins waiting to hear exactly what had taken place after he was tortured and why he continued to live amongst the Wyandot. Surprisingly though it wasn’t his brutal torture but the scene where he drops to his knees in front of his mother and begs forgiveness that got to me. There were no TSTL moments on the heroine’s part here, no dumb misunderstandings to plod through or exaggerated conflict it was all just beautifully done.

I should also mention that while this is the third part of a trilogy I read it as a stand alone with no problems whatsoever. I have of course just ordered the first two books because I can’t seem to find anything else to read that even comes close to capturing the magic I found here. Cheers
25 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ride the Fire.

11/14/2011 page 25
7.0% "Gah this is good. My first historical romance in years and I'm embarrassed to admit but my first Pamela Clare ever. All I can say about that is look what I have to look forward too!" 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick It's about time.............. one of the best, EASILY!

Read the first two, too. Fabulous.

message 2: by Buggy (last edited Nov 19, 2011 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Oh U-ITC this was so good, I just can't seem to bring myself out of her frontier world. And Nicholas, where can I find me one of those?

I've been looking into getting the first 2 books (Carnal Gift and Sweet Release) but so far can only find then used and very expensive. I've ordered Surrender and Untamed in their upcoming re-release's but have to wait a bit on the second one.

What the hell am I going to read now though?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Sweet Release (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and Carnal Gift (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #2) by Pamela Clare are both available for $2.99 for the ebook!

Buggy LOL I just discovered that reading your review.

I really wanted them in PB but for the extra pages (and story the way PC intended) I might have to do it. Are these ever to be re-released in PB? I think I remember reading somewhere No?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Honestly, I don't remember when - or if, they'll be released in PB again, Buggy. I've read both versions of Carnal Gift and believe me, the extra pages are worth it. And Sweet Surrender? I'm a huge PC fan, you know that... but these books? Really, honestly.... you need to read them. I wish I had read the 3 in order, to get the most from Nicholas' story, but wow... they're so, so good.

Her son is selling brand new, signed copies of Sweet Release and Carnal Gift. Have you checked there?

Carnal Gift - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pamela-Clares...

Sweet Release - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pamela-Clares...

Buggy Thanks so much for the links ITC I got very distracted when I went over to e-bay. LOL Bulk lots of books etc.

I really wish I'd read this series in order now too, I think I would have felt even more (is that possible?) empathy towards Nicholas then I already did. After learning that he was in the 2nd book or mentioned or thought dead or something. I'll probably read this one again once I finish the first two.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I think, having read the first two first, you get a deeper feeling for Jamie's guilt, and then the joy of their reunion in RtF. But still... in CG it was wonderful seeing Nicholas again, even if it was out of order.

Buggy Yeah the ending of RTF was kinda disappointing for me because I didn't know any of the characters and felt nothing over the brothers reunion. Although in saying that when Nicholas dropped to his knees in front of his mother and begged forgiveness, I went a little weak kneed myself. I just can't get my head out of this story

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I know the feeling, Buggy. I was sobbing!!

Please read the first two. Soon. You'll come away feeling even more enthralled with this family.

MelissaB Great review Buggy! Get Surrender! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I was just making a list of the books to post in the Pamela Clare Fan Club group and according to Barnes and noble, they're shipping the NEW Surrender within 24 hours!!!

Buggy Thanks MelissaB I am anxiously awaiting Surrender and have also preordered Untamed.

U-ITC, PC fan group what!? I'm on my way over there, should be fun because I'll be the newbie and won't know anything. 24hrs Yay !! I'm hoping the Book Depot follows suit

Buggy Thanks girlfriend :)

Elizabeth (Liz) Great review, Buggy!!! I have this series (well, all of her HR series, actually;) on my wishlist! I'm so excited that the first two books in this series are in ebook format for $2.99! Does anyone know if the third will be available?

message 16: by Buggy (last edited Nov 28, 2011 06:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks Elizabeth. You should get them off your wishlist and get reading, I don't know what I waited so long for.

Dhes should be able to answer any and all PC questions

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I asked Pamela Clare on Twitter if RtF will be offered for Kindle and this was her response.

My question: @Pamela_Clare I know Surrender and Untamed will soon be available for Kindle. Yaaay! Will Ride the Fire be available any time soon?

Pamela's answer: @KristenCasto I'm not sure. Penguin hasn't announced a date for the book's release yet. Probably waiting to see how the others do.

Elizabeth (Liz) Thank you, Kristen!! I hope they make Ride The Fire available, otherwise....eeeeekkk;)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) You're welcome. I hope the books sell well because RtF is one of my all-time-favorite books and I would love it on my Kindle.

message 21: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Nov 28, 2011 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Like Kristen said, Penguin hasn't yet decided if it will be re-released or not. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

And I posted in the PC group the pre-order information for all of the MacKinnon's Rangers books - Surrender and Untamed Pre-Order information

message 22: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Great review, Buggy! I was a PC virgin until just a few months ago when I read Surrender. Wow, what a book. That lady sure can write.

I have the first book of this series on my Kindle; maybe I should get to it sooner rather than later. :D

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Like Kristen said, Penguin hasn't yet decided if it will be re-released or not. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Dhes, the pre-order link was very helpful. Thank you.

message 24: by Buggy (last edited Nov 28, 2011 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks Tamster I'm glad to know there's another new PC fan out there. I've just ordered all her books that I can get my hands on.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick You're welcome, Kristen! Trying to get the word out!!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Buggy wrote: "SO exciting when you find a new author.(Even though everyone has been telling you about her for ages) "

Took you long enough! Photobucket

message 27: by Buggy (last edited Nov 28, 2011 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy gap, ack, cough, cough. Lemme go. LMAO

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Buggy wrote: "I promise to listen to recommendations. Jeez no wonder you get put in the cage so often."

Heh. Heh. Heh. That's one cage I don't mind being in :)

Quinn Great review, Buggy! Glad you loved it. I think Surrender is even better - nudge, nudge.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Buggy!! I've been MIA from GRs for a while and how nice to come back on and see that Buggy is reading Pamela Clare and loving her! *SQUEE!* Pamela Clare is one of my absolute favourite authors!! So happy to see you enjoying her books and knowing you have more to look forward to!

I haven't read this one yet. I guess I'm saving away her historicals because I can't stand the thought of not having any PCs left to read.

message 31: by Buggy (last edited Nov 29, 2011 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks Quinn, I'm looking forward to Surrender even without the nudge. But jeez even better then this one is that possible?

message 32: by Buggy (last edited Nov 29, 2011 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks so much Lady Jayne, I've missed been seeing you around, Hope its all good!

I don't know why I waited so long for PC? Generally I don't even read historicals, so this was a wow. I'm really looking forward to the I-team, because thats my genre of choice

message 33: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 29, 2011 01:45PM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Buggy wrote: "Thanks so much Lady Jayne, I've missed been seeing you around, Hope its all good!

I haven't been around much, Buggy, as I was busy with work, then had my parents visiting, and then planning for a visit from some overseas friends and doing the drive from Melbourne to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road. Can't believe my vacation is over already and it's back to the usual grind. :-( But I've now got time for GRs again. I've missed you lovely ladies on GRs!

How are you, Buggy, dear?

Oh, I do hope you'll LOVE the I-Team books! They are just SOOO GOOD!!!

message 34: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Welcome to the mass histeria that is Pamela Clare fan gurls...you have such alot of great reading ahead of you! Great review!

Buggy Thanks so much Keri. I KNOW, what a fool I've been to wait so long, now I understand the histeria. Its kind of exciting though to think what I have ahead.

Angela Great review! I recently had the same epiphany that you did. All her books are great, you will be so happy to have discovered her!

message 37: by Carlybaby (new)

Carlybaby hmm... well im not into historical romance but i think you might have convinced me to pick this up :)

Steamywindows♥♫ I loved your review Buggy.

Karla Great review Buggy! One of my all time favorite books!

Jennifer Lane I've yet to read this series by one of my fave authors! Must get on it. PC does write a wonderful historical romance.

Buggy Hey thanks so much guys, such a great read!

@Carlybaby I can't recommend this enough even if historicals aren't your thing
@Jennifer get on it girl I'm surprised you haven't read this one yet

Jennifer Lane I agree that the suspense about what exactly happened to Nicholas was so well done. I was horrified by what the Wyandot did BEFORE burning him at the stake. Torture, much? What an awesome series--have you read books one and two? I also agree this is one of my favorite historicals. Great review, Buggy!