Marlo's Reviews > The Corrections

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Dec 14, 14

Read from December 06 to 14, 2014

I don't have the same worldview as Jonathan Franzen, but I am hard-pressed to find any author who writes as well about relationships and families and personalities as well as he does. I couldn't put this book down. I read 600 pages in a week, which is a lot more than I've been reading in a long while.

It doesn't surprise me to find out that Noah Baumbach wanted to adapt this book for TV. I feel like this falls right in with mumblecore stuff I've watched like Frances Ha and Transparent. It's stories about white affluent people, and their relationship to the contemporary world, and their family dramas. It's deeply dark and cynical. It tries to act like any left-wing desires white liberals have are frivolous and hypocritical (although the most loathsome character, Gary, is definitely no liberal). It tries to be post-political, or above politics. So although this book is does not appeal to me on a political level, it's so well-executed that I have to admit that it's really, really good, mainly because of the masterful way it accesses humanity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corrections.

12/06/2014 marked as: currently-reading
12/09/2014 page 356
56.0% "The story from Sylvia on the cruise ship, where her daughter was murdered and she became obsessed with drawing guns, is masterful, and it deeply moved me."
12/10/2014 page 480
75.0% "If you put a lesbian romance in your story, you are never not going to win me over just a little more."
12/14/2014 marked as: read