Nathan's Reviews > Goddesses in Everywoman: Powerful Archetypes in Women's Lives

Goddesses in Everywoman by Jean Shinoda Bolen

Jan 14, 08

bookshelves: mythology, psychology
Recommended for: People interested in archetypal/mythological psychology -- but only barely
Read in January, 2003

I liked Boden's "Gods In Everyman" so much, I grabbed this one as soon as I saw it in the local used bookstore. However, after just a partial reading, I found myself disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not that good, and somehow doesn't live up to the solid mythological archetypes of its predecessor. The analogies seem forced and lacking insight, the archetypes are more shallow than the ones with the gods and leave many empty spaces, many personality types uncovered. I suppose this could be colored by my decidedly not-female perspective, and I'd like to hear what women who have read this think; however, the handful of ladies I know who have read it seem to feel about the same -- less than thrilled. It's really too bad -- maybe a revised edition, or a new version of the same thing by someone else, would fill the spaces.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddesses in Everywoman.