Erica (daydreamer)'s Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus is a beautiful, transcendent lifelike dream, carefully constructed out of magic and intrigue. The circus is unlike other circus', bringing strange, unique entertainment and illusions, and is, in actuality, the base for a game between a man and woman, trained since children, and pitted against each other by two rivalries. These two opponents have been training for years, with different methods, to win this decades old game that is basically their life. They use the circus as their game board, one moves a piece, and the other retaliates with a piece of their own, shaping the circus into something truly magnificent and awe inspiring. I found the magic and circus life enchanting, with beautiful writing and elegant execution that formed a true work of art.

The writing was one thing that drew me in; that, combined with the vivid descriptions of the circus and the characters and their lives. I delight in a descriptive book done well, and while some will think the pace too slow, or that there is too much description, it was just right to me. I found I was hanging onto every word, seeing the world as if I was actually there. Interspersed through the story, between chapters, there are little excerpts that take you into a few tents in the circus, written as second person so it is as if you are a character in the story, and are seeing the wonders for yourself. I could see and taste and feel everything that Morgenstern wrote.

There are several points of view, but I felt that it was needed. Because it isn’t just Marco and Celia’s story, it was Bailey’s, and Poppet and Widget’s, and the man in the grey suit’s, and Tsukiko’s. It starts telling the beginning of Marco’s and Celia’s lives, going on to building the circus from the seed of an idea, and then we see Bailey, an average boy years later who finds something special in the Night Circus and becomes an integral part of the story. We see the circus through Bailey’s eyes before it has truly formed in Marco and Celia’s lives. It gives a sense of subtle excitement, and a need to know how the circus comes to life, how it becomes the largely successful, mysterious, enchanting wonder, and how Marco and Celia play into it. And then the two stories finally meet, and we see how the puzzle pieces fit together seamlessly, and how the characters fight against the odds to achieve what they believe in.

I was expecting a bigger, shocking conclusion, where the revealing of the story’s end and how it all works together would be surprising, but done amazingly. It wasn’t though. It was executed wonderfully, but it was nothing unexpected and utterly brilliant. But I loved it anyway. It was magical, and intriguing, and perfect, so I wasn’t disappointed at all, and finished the book with satisfaction.

This book was like a breath of fresh air. I loved the originality of it, the strange beauty of this strictly black and white circus that, even void of color no matter where you turn, manages to attract you, to draw you in with words of enchantment, and magic woven into the story. I was enchanted from the beginning, and it lingered long after I turned the last page.

So, enter if you will, a place of wonderment and magic, where dreams become your life, and where life, may just be a dream.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy anxiously awaiting your review on this one, seems to be a mixed bag out on reviews. Hope it is good:)

Erica (daydreamer) So far I really like it, it's enchanting :)

message 3: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Oh good! glad to hear it! have to add this to my list to get. :D