Velma's Reviews > Respect the Spindle

Respect the Spindle by Abby Franquemont

Oct 03, 2010

bookshelves: crafts-for-breakfast, non-fiction, permanent-collection, spinning, written-by-friends, fiber-arts-textiles, reference, signed-copies
Recommended to Velma by: my personal corporeal spinning guardian angel, Morgaine Wilder
Recommended for: fiber artists of all stripes
Read from August 04, 2008 to November 07, 2012

Disclaimer: I'm friends with the author, so my gushing review should be taken as gospel because I know what the hell I'm talking about.

I came to spinning with a spindle late: I learned long after mastering spinning with a spinning wheel. But I figured, "Hey, if little kids can do it, how hard can it be for a talented girl like me?!?" Well, yes and no. Yes, I can do it, but it does require some instruction. And I'd say that, short of an in-person class with the author (which I highly recommend), Respect the Spindle is just about the absolute perfect source of that instruction.

Written by the renowned spindle guru Abby Franquemont, Respect is packed with everything needed to turn a wanna-be into an expert spindle-spinner (I know, Abby, I know: you don't like that term; too bad, because I do.) With humor, patience, and more skill than you can shake a stick (or rather, spindle) at, Abby takes the reader through the basics and then continues into more advanced techniques, demonstrating throughout the book in clear, explanatory color photos.

An absolute must-have for any self-respecting (oh yes, pun intended) fiber artist, your copy will sadly not arrive with the irreverent, hand-written annotations that Abby graciously penned throughout mine, but I do believe that it will nevertheless become your favorite spinning reference book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Respect the Spindle.

message 1: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs I know nothing about spindles but I love books about fairly esoteric subjects.

Velma Heh, I hear that. I have a volume on how to make a bullwhip; can't imagine when I'd need that knowledge, but how could I not pick up that title when I saw it?

message 3: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs I read somewhere that you could make a bullwhip from stretching and tanning a bull's penis. Is that true?

Velma I can't believe I'm doing this (yes I can): pizzle whips

message 5: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs Velma wrote: "I can't believe I'm doing this (yes I can): pizzle whips"

Imagine whipping the bull with another bull's penis! How nasty.

I used to work for a guy, a captain, who when we were sailing back to the island from Puerto Rico used to get me to buy him bulls' testicles for the cook to fry. I think he only did it because he knew I didn't speak Spanish and would have a fine old time trying to describe what they were to the shopkeeper. But then I discovered supermarkets sold them and didn't care any more.

Velma Bull testicles: isn't that what rocky mountain oysters are? Yeah, a little Google-fu tells me they're made from calf testicles.

Also: Abby? The author of the spindle book? She would love that we are talking about knackers and knobs in a discussion about her book.