Angela's Reviews > Enchanted Ivy

Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst

Oct 04, 10

Read on October 03, 2010

Lily's hopes and worries about college really brought me back to my junior year of high school, when I also was obsessing about colleges and going on tours already. With all of the magic and fantasy that surrounds this story, Durst does an excellent job of still bringing out the humanity and normalcy in Lily.

This story isn't nearly as epic in scope as the last book of Durst's I read, ICE, and follows many of the paranormal romance tropes that are in danger of becoming predictable - as soon as the mysterious Tye showed up, with his tiger-striped hair, I was on the lookout for another handsome boy to be his rival for Lily's affections. I'm also skeptical when stories start throwing in talk of soulmates - it seems like an all too easy way to get two characters together romantically, rather than building a real relationship. In ICE, Cassie and Bear had months together and it was easy to see how Cassie's affections grew. Here, the story takes place over the course of a weekend - a weekend with nonstop action and adventure for sure, but all of that action leaves little time for us to see Lily falling for either guy. And I would have been totally happy if this had avoided defining either relationship, but the final chapter spells it all out for us.

This was an enjoyable read, certainly - I actually read it all in one sitting - but not a "must have." If you're looking for a fantasy take on the college process, with mysterious family secrets and some cute boys, pick this one up, but otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanted Ivy.

10/03/2010 page 90